Finding sum to convergent series?

In summary, the question is asking to determine if the series (3^n + 2^n)/6^n is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, the sum should be found. The solution is to break the series into two parts, (3/6)^n and (2/6)^n, which can be simplified to (1/2)^n. This is a geometric series, so the r value can be found by finding the common ratio of (1/2)^n. The common ratio is 1/2, and since it is less than 1, the series is convergent. To find the sum, the formula a/1-r is used, where a is the first term and
MySecretAlias

Homework Statement

Decide whether convergent or divergent, if convergent, find sum.

Ʃ as n = 1 and goes to infinity > (3^n + 2^n)/6^n

Homework Equations

a/1-r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just confused where to find the "r" to this without actually plugging in values for n, then dividing. For example, to get the answer (at least I think it's correct), I plugged 1 in for n, got 5/6, then i plugged in 2 for n, and got 11/36. I did (11/36) / (5/6), and used that for my r value, plugged that into a/1-r, and got about 1.31

How exactly do I find the r value? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try breaking it into two sums,
[tex]\sum \frac{3^n}{6^n}+ \sum \frac{2^n}{6^n}[/tex]
If those converge, separately, then the combination converges to the sum of those two.

I respect that. Thank you. However, how do i find what the sum is?

MySecretAlias said:
I respect that. Thank you. However, how do i find what the sum is?

Write 3^n/6^n as (3/6)^n=(1/2)^n. It's a geometric series. You've probably covered those.

Does this mean that r value is simply 1/2? the 2^n does not really matter, since in the long run, it becomes so miniscule?

MySecretAlias said:
Does this mean that r value is simply 1/2? the 2^n does not really matter, since in the long run, it becomes so miniscule?

Of course the 2 matters, otherwise it wouldn't be (1/2)^n. What's the sum for n=1 to infinity of (1/2)^n? Review geometric series if you have to.

What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a mathematical series in which the terms decrease in value and approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

How do you find the sum of a convergent series?

The sum of a convergent series can be found by adding up all of the terms in the series. As the number of terms increases, the sum will approach a finite value.

What is the formula for finding the sum of a convergent series?

The formula for finding the sum of a convergent series is S = a/(1-r), where a is the first term in the series and r is the common ratio between terms.

Can a divergent series have a sum?

No, a divergent series does not have a finite sum because the terms in the series do not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

The main difference between a convergent and a divergent series is that a convergent series has a finite sum, while a divergent series does not. In a convergent series, the terms decrease in value and approach a finite limit, while in a divergent series, the terms either increase in value or do not approach a limit at all.