Finding tangent and normal lines to y = √x/(x+1) at (4, 0.4)

  • Thread starter Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
QuarkCharmer
Messages
1,049
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Find the tangent and normal line through the curve at the given point.
[tex]y = \frac{\sqrt{x}}{x+1}[/tex]
Through point (4, 0.4)

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



Now, I calculate y' to be:

[tex]y' = \frac{-(x-1)}{2\sqrt{x}(x+1)^2}[/tex]

and so:

y'(4) = (-3/100)

That is the slope at x=4 on the curve y?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the problem. The slope is -3/100 at the point (4,f(4))=(4,.4).
 
Yeah as soon as I clicked submit I realized what the problem with my thinking was. It's time to take a break for the day..

Thanks for the help!