Find curve with tangent and normal lines that create a triangle with given area

In summary, the problem asks to find the implicit equation of a curve passing through a given point, where the tangent and normal lines always form a triangle with an area equal to the slope of the tangent line. Using the hint provided, an expression for the area can be found in terms of the slope, but a differential equation for the area is needed to solve the problem. Efforts have been made to find this equation and progress is being made.
Shamako

Homework Statement

Find the implicit equation of the curve that goes through the point (3, 1) and whose tangent and normal lines always form with the x-axis a triangle whose area is equal to the slope of the tangent line. Assume y` > 0 and y > 0.

Homework Equations

Hint: ∫( √(a^2 - u^2) / u du = √(a^2-u^2) - a*ln | [a+√(a^2-u^2)] / u | + C
(sorry, I don't know how to use the math writer yet)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a question from an introductory differential equations class. I have absolutely no idea how to do this! I haven't really gotten anywhere yet. This is what I've done:

let f(x) denote the curve we're looking for. Then the tangent line will have equation:
y_t = df/dx * x + C
Normal line will have equation y_n = -1/(df/dx) * x + k

Together they will form a triangle with area = df/dx, at any point on f(x). I wanted to find an expression for area in terms of df/dx, simplify it, and solve the resulting differential equation, but I can't figure out a DE for the area! I'm getting very frustrated, as we've never been shown a question like this in lecture, and I can't find any examples in my textbook.

Help would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Moore's 201 class at uvic? same boat...

the only useful thing I've written down is dT/dx = (1/2)(T)(N)

its dT/dx because its equal to the slope of the tangent line

Please post back with any progress you make and ill do the same

1. How can I find a curve with tangent and normal lines that create a triangle with a given area?

To find a curve with tangent and normal lines that create a triangle with a given area, you will need to use calculus and geometry concepts. First, find the equation of a curve that satisfies the given area. Then, use the derivative of the curve to find the slope of the tangent line at a given point. Finally, use the negative reciprocal of the slope to find the slope of the normal line at the same point. Repeat this process for multiple points on the curve to create a triangle with the desired area.

2. What is the relationship between the tangent and normal lines in this problem?

The tangent and normal lines are perpendicular to each other. This means that the product of their slopes will be -1. In other words, if the slope of the tangent line is m, the slope of the normal line will be -1/m.

3. Can I use any curve to create a triangle with a given area?

No, not every curve will work. The curve must have a well-defined slope at every point in order to find the tangent and normal lines. This means that the curve cannot have sharp turns or vertical tangents.

4. Is there a specific formula or method for finding the curve with tangent and normal lines that create a triangle with a given area?

There is not a specific formula, but the process involves using calculus and geometry principles. You will need to take the derivative of the curve and use the concept of perpendicular lines to find the slope of the normal line. From there, you can find the equation of the tangent and normal lines at various points on the curve to create the desired triangle.

5. Can I use this problem to find the equation of a curve?

Yes, you can use this problem to find the equation of a curve. Once you have found the tangent and normal lines that create a triangle with the given area, you can use those equations to find the equation of the curve. This will give you a complete understanding of the relationship between the curve and its tangent and normal lines at different points.