Finding tension in a cable of a accelerating lift

In summary, a lift with a mass of 800 kg is moving upwards with an acceleration of -0.1 ms-2 and is supported by a single cable. The tension in the cable is calculated to be -7760 N, assuming the lift is one of Mr. Otis's new-fangled lifts. However, it is more accurate to write the equation as T - mg = -0.1m to avoid confusion and give a positive tension value of 7760 N.
Sleve123
A lift has mass 800 kg. It is moving upwards and has an accerleration
of -0.1 ms-2. The lift is supported by a single cable.

What is the tension in the cable?

I get T = -7760 N (I'm taking up as negative), just checking what anybody else gets

F = ma

T + mg = -(-0.1)m

T = 800(0.1 - 9.8) = -7760 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Sleve123! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Sleve123 said:
T + mg = -(-0.1)m

T = 800(0.1 - 9.8) = -7760 N

Assuming ths is one of Mr Otis's new-fangled lifts :rolleyes:, with the cable above the lift …

shouldn't T be opposite to mg? :wink:

(and negative tension would be compression)

tiny-tim said:
Hi Sleve123! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Assuming ths is one of Mr Otis's new-fangled lifts :rolleyes:, with the cable above the lift …

shouldn't T be opposite to mg? :wink:

(and negative tension would be compression)

I think what I've done is work out the force applied to the lift to produce that outcome.

In my equation:

T + mg = -(-0.1)m

The value of T could be positve or negative.

Doesn't the negative value just tell me that the force applied on the lift from the tension in the wire is in the up direction (because I took up as negative), not down.

Sleve123 said:
The value of T could be positve or negative.

No, tension can only be positive.

(plus, the question itself asks "What is the tension in the cable?", and you can't give a negative answer to that)
Doesn't the negative value just tell me that the force applied on the lift from the tension in the wire is in the up direction (because I took up as negative), not down.

That's extremely confusing, and almost bound to lead to mistakes :redface:

In an exam, even if you get the correct answer, the examiner will probably think it was just luck.

Try it again, with T positive. :smile:

So:

mg - T = -(-0.1)m

T = m(g - 0.1)

T = 800 x 9.7 = +7760N

Sleve123 said:
So:

mg - T = -(-0.1)m

T = m(g - 0.1)

T = 800 x 9.7 = +7760N

Yup! :biggrin:

(though, again, you seem determined to make things complicated …

the question gives an upward acceleration, so wouldn't it be safer to go with upward directions, avoid the double-negative, and write T - mg = -0.1m ?)

Likes WherE mE weeD
Thanks, as long as I'm right. I'll make it simpler for myself next time.

1. How do you calculate the tension in a cable of an accelerating lift?

The tension in a cable of an accelerating lift can be calculated by using the equation T=ma+mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the lift and a is the acceleration. This equation takes into account the weight of the lift and the additional force applied by the acceleration.

2. What factors affect the tension in a cable of an accelerating lift?

The factors that affect the tension in a cable of an accelerating lift include the mass of the lift, the acceleration of the lift, and the force of gravity. Additionally, the length and thickness of the cable can also have an impact on the tension.

3. How does the tension in a cable change as the lift accelerates?

The tension in a cable of an accelerating lift will increase as the lift accelerates. This is because the acceleration adds an additional force that needs to be counteracted by the tension in the cable. As the lift decelerates or comes to a stop, the tension will decrease accordingly.

4. How does the angle of the cable affect the tension in an accelerating lift?

The angle of the cable can affect the tension in an accelerating lift. As the angle increases, the tension in the cable will also increase. This is because the angle adds a horizontal component to the force of tension, making it stronger to counteract the acceleration of the lift.

5. Are there any safety concerns regarding the tension in a cable of an accelerating lift?

Yes, there can be safety concerns regarding the tension in a cable of an accelerating lift. If the tension exceeds the maximum weight capacity of the cable, it can lead to the cable breaking and causing harm to the lift and its passengers. It is important to regularly check and maintain the cables to ensure they can withstand the tension required for the lift to operate safely.