1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the amplitude in simple harmonic motion

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a block-spring system that forms a linear simple harmonic oscillator, with the block undergoing SHM. The angular frequency is 9.78 rad/s, the frequency is 1.6 Hz and the period is 640 msec. The block is pulled from its equilibrium position at x=0 (at time = 0) to x=11 cm. It is released from x=11cm. What is the amplitude.

2. Relevant equations

I tried using x(t) = A[cos(ωt + ∅)]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I know that the answer this question is intuitively 11 cm, since the block can never go further than 11 cm from the equilibrium point. However, I thought I'd try testing my shaky understanding of the x(t) = A[cos(ωt + ∅)] formula and I hit a brick wall.

I figured that it would take one quarter of a period for the block to get from x=11 cm to x = 0 cm, since that's one fourth of the journey through the period. So, I plugged the following numbers in:

.11 m = (A)cos[(9.78rad/s)(.643sec/4) + 0]
    A = -82.17 m

I don't understand why this method doesn't yield A = 11 cm (or anything remotely close to it).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A quarter period from maximum extension (t=0) should make the x(t) zero, not A.

A half period after t=0 should make it -A...

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    Your initial observation was good; using this equation is overkill. But, using it:

The block starts at the farthest point, so the phase constant is zero. So

x(t) = A cos(ωt)

Now, if you wanted to find the position at time t = 0, you'd have

x(0) = A cos(ω0) = A cos(0)

They told you that x(0) = 11 cm, and cos(0) is just one. So A is 11 cm, as expected (and as you saw from the beginning; using this equation is completely unnecessary).

You tried finding the position after a quarter of a period, where the block is back at the equilibrium point. First off, that can't tell you anything about A, because at that time, x = 0. You end up with an equation like

0 = A cos(blah)

where the cos(blah) also turns out to be zero. 0 = 0A is true for any value of A.

When you did it, you messed up the left hand side. x is not 0.11 m one fourth of the way through the cycle; it must be 0. The reason you have such a strange answer is because, at this time, the value of the cosine is zero. Due to rounding errors, you get something really tiny like 0.005; dividing 0.11 by this gives you a huge answer.

5. Dec 13, 2011 #4
    Thanks! That makes sense!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook