1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the amplitude of the sum vector

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A signal E(t) is made up of three terms, each having the same frequency but differing in phase:

E(t) = E0cos(ωt) + E0cos(ωt + δ) + E0cos(ωt + 2δ)

It is possible to find the amplitude of the sum vector by summing each vector described as a magnitude multiplied by a phase. The sum will therefore contain three terms. You can simplify this to express the sum as a real number times a phase. The real number is the amplitude of the sum vector. Make a plot of the amplitude of the sum vector as a function of δ as δ varies from 0 to 2∏.

2. Relevant equations

A signal can be represented as the real part of a complex number z,
    z = Aei(wt+∅) = A[cos(wt+∅) + jsin(wt+∅)]

3. The attempt at a solution

E(t) = E0cos(ωt) + E0cos(ωt + δ) + E0cos(ωt + 2δ)
    E(t) = E0exp(iωt) + E0exp(i(ωt + δ)) + E0exp(i(ωt + 2δ))
    E(t) = E0exp(iωt) * (1 + exp(iδ) + exp(i2δ))
    E(t) = E0cos(ωt) * (1 + exp(iδ) + exp(i2δ))

I can't think of a way to simplify it any further to put it in the form real number * a phase term. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2
    First of all, this equation really makes no sense:
    because you are using two different notations for the imaginary unit in the same expression. If you use i to denote the imaginary unit, you should have:
    Aei(wt+∅) = A[cos(wt+∅) + i sin(wt+∅)]

Second, between the first and second steps in your attempt at a solution, you incorrectly applied that formula. You have changed a real expression into an expression with a real part and a non-zero imaginary part.

If you do some simple algebra you should see that you can represent cos(x) as
    cos(x) = (eix+e-ix)/2
    Alternatively, you could write cos(x) as the real part of eix, e.g.
    cos(x)+cos(y) = Re[eix + eiy]

Try applying those formulae and see if you can make any more progress. And feel free to post again if you get stuck. But you should make a better attempt before I give you any more hints.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  4. Sep 14, 2013 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can not use the same notation for the real E(t) and the complex one. Write E(t)=Re(Z) where Z=E0exp(iωt) + E0exp(i(ωt + δ)) + E0exp(i(ωt + 2δ)), and make it equal to Aexp(i(ωt+θ)), where A and θ ( both real) are to be determined.

You need to transform the factor 1 + exp(iδ) + exp(i2δ) into the exponential form, 1 + exp(iδ) + exp(i2δ)=Cexp(iψ). For that, expand the exponentials exp(iδ)=cosδ+isinδ. Note that exp(i2δ)=[exp(iδ)]2. Collect the real and imaginary parts of the sum, and find the amplitude and phase.

ehild

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  5. Sep 15, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

the solution is much easier if you factor out E0exp(iωt)exp(iδ):

[tex]\hat Z(t)=E_0 e^{i \omega t}+E_0 e^{i (\omega t+\delta)}+E_0 e^{i (\omega t+2\delta)}=E_0 e^{i (\omega t+\delta)} (e^{-i\delta}+1+e^{i\delta})[/tex]

But [itex] e^{-i\delta}+1+e^{i\delta}=1+2\cos \delta[/itex], a real quantity. That makes

[tex]\hat Z(t)=E_0 (1+2\cos \delta)e^{i (\omega t+\delta)} [/tex]

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted