Finding the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
happyparticle
Messages
490
Reaction score
24
Homework Statement
Finding the angle at the apex (A) for which the outgoing beam is perpendicular to the side of a rhomb if the incoming plane wave is linearly polarized at 45 degrees to the plane of incidence and the beam is perpendicular to the first side.
Relevant Equations
##\theta_I = \theta_t = 0##
Hi,

Since I'm dealing with a rhombus, the angle at the bottom(A) and top(A) are the same. Thus, I only have to find the angle at the bottom since the incoming beam is already perpendicular to the side of the rhombus.

Since the incoming beam is perpendicular to the side ##\theta_I = \theta_T = 0## If I understood correctly.
And it seems to have no reflection.

I'm not sure if all those details are important to find the angle. However I can't put those pieces together.
It might be simple, but for some reasons I don't know how to begin.
CefGonS.png


Any help will be appreciate
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
EpselonZero said:
Homework Statement:: Finding the angle at the apex (A) for which the outgoing beam is perpendicular to the side of a rhomb if the incoming plane wave is linearly polarized at 45 degrees to the plane of incidence and the beam is perpendicular to the first side.
Relevant Equations:: ##\theta_I = \theta_t = 0##

Hi,

Since I'm dealing with a rhombus, the angle at the bottom(A) and top(A) are the same. Thus, I only have to find the angle at the bottom since the incoming beam is already perpendicular to the side of the rhombus.

Since the incoming beam is perpendicular to the side ##\theta_I = \theta_T = 0## If I understood correctly.
And it seems to have no reflection.

I'm not sure if all those details are important to find the angle. However I can't put those pieces together.
It might be simple, but for some reasons I don't know how to begin.
View attachment 299179

Any help will be appreciate
Thanks
I don’t understand the relevance of the polarisation, so I might not be the right person to assist.
But ignoring that, assign a variable to the angle A. What is the angle of incidence of the light at the first internal reflection?
 
haruspex said:
What is the angle of incidence of the light at the first internal reflection?
The only thing I think off is 90-A = angle at the first reflection If it is want you mean.
 
EpselonZero said:
The only thing I think off is 90-A = angle at the first reflection If it is want you mean.
Ok, so what can you deduce about the angles of the obtuse triangle on the right?
 
Is the prism supposed to be bi-refringent? What is the context of this problem? Where did you get it from?
 
nasu said:
Is the prism supposed to be bi-refringent? What is the context of this problem? Where did you get it from?
I suppose it is bi-refringent, it is not mentioned. I wrote all that I have.
 
I don't see how the polarization is relevant either. Just do it by using the geometrical optics. @haruspex is already guiding you.
 
haruspex said:
Ok, so what can you deduce about the angles of the obtuse triangle on the right?
We have ##2 \theta_2 + \theta_1 = 180##
Is ##\theta_2 = A## where A is used ( 90-A = angle at the first reflection)
 
EpselonZero said:
We have ##2 \theta_2 + \theta_1 = 180##
Is ##\theta_2 = A## where A is used ( 90-A = angle at the first reflection)
What do you know about the angles involved in a reflection?
 
Ah! ##\theta_i = \theta_r##
Thus, the 2 angles from obtuse triangle are the same as the angle at the first reflection.
 
EpselonZero said:
Ah! ##\theta_i = \theta_r##
Thus, the 2 angles from obtuse triangle are the same as the angle at the first reflection.
So what relationships do you have between all the angles now?
Post a diagram labelling all the angles so there's no confusion.