Finding the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave

In summary, the angles at the apex of the reflection and the internal angles of the prism are the same.
happyparticle
Homework Statement
Finding the angle at the apex (A) for which the outgoing beam is perpendicular to the side of a rhomb if the incoming plane wave is linearly polarized at 45 degrees to the plane of incidence and the beam is perpendicular to the first side.
Relevant Equations
##\theta_I = \theta_t = 0##
Hi,

Since I'm dealing with a rhombus, the angle at the bottom(A) and top(A) are the same. Thus, I only have to find the angle at the bottom since the incoming beam is already perpendicular to the side of the rhombus.

Since the incoming beam is perpendicular to the side ##\theta_I = \theta_T = 0## If I understood correctly.
And it seems to have no reflection.

I'm not sure if all those details are important to find the angle. However I can't put those pieces together.
It might be simple, but for some reasons I don't know how to begin.
CefGonS.png

Any help will be appreciate
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
EpselonZero said:
Homework Statement:: Finding the angle at the apex (A) for which the outgoing beam is perpendicular to the side of a rhomb if the incoming plane wave is linearly polarized at 45 degrees to the plane of incidence and the beam is perpendicular to the first side.
Relevant Equations:: ##\theta_I = \theta_t = 0##

Hi,

Since I'm dealing with a rhombus, the angle at the bottom(A) and top(A) are the same. Thus, I only have to find the angle at the bottom since the incoming beam is already perpendicular to the side of the rhombus.

Since the incoming beam is perpendicular to the side ##\theta_I = \theta_T = 0## If I understood correctly.
And it seems to have no reflection.

I'm not sure if all those details are important to find the angle. However I can't put those pieces together.
It might be simple, but for some reasons I don't know how to begin.
View attachment 299179

Any help will be appreciate
Thanks
I don’t understand the relevance of the polarisation, so I might not be the right person to assist.
But ignoring that, assign a variable to the angle A. What is the angle of incidence of the light at the first internal reflection?

haruspex said:
What is the angle of incidence of the light at the first internal reflection?
The only thing I think off is 90-A = angle at the first reflection If it is want you mean.

EpselonZero said:
The only thing I think off is 90-A = angle at the first reflection If it is want you mean.
Ok, so what can you deduce about the angles of the obtuse triangle on the right?

Is the prism supposed to be bi-refringent? What is the context of this problem? Where did you get it from?

nasu said:
Is the prism supposed to be bi-refringent? What is the context of this problem? Where did you get it from?
I suppose it is bi-refringent, it is not mentioned. I wrote all that I have.

I don't see how the polarization is relevant either. Just do it by using the geometrical optics. @haruspex is already guiding you.

haruspex said:
Ok, so what can you deduce about the angles of the obtuse triangle on the right?
We have ##2 \theta_2 + \theta_1 = 180##
Is ##\theta_2 = A## where A is used ( 90-A = angle at the first reflection)

EpselonZero said:
We have ##2 \theta_2 + \theta_1 = 180##
Is ##\theta_2 = A## where A is used ( 90-A = angle at the first reflection)
What do you know about the angles involved in a reflection?

Ah! ##\theta_i = \theta_r##
Thus, the 2 angles from obtuse triangle are the same as the angle at the first reflection.

EpselonZero said:
Ah! ##\theta_i = \theta_r##
Thus, the 2 angles from obtuse triangle are the same as the angle at the first reflection.
So what relationships do you have between all the angles now?
Post a diagram labelling all the angles so there's no confusion.

M8OiNdt.png

It seems good.

EpselonZero said:
View attachment 299220
It seems good.
Yes, though you do not explain how you arrived at that.

1. What is the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave?

The angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave is the angle formed between the incoming linear wave and the surface of the rhomb at its apex point. It is an important measurement in understanding the behavior of waves and their interactions with different surfaces.

2. How is the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave measured?

The angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave can be measured using a protractor or by using mathematical calculations based on the dimensions of the rhomb and the direction of the incoming wave.

3. What factors affect the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave?

The angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave is affected by the wavelength and frequency of the incoming wave, as well as the material and surface properties of the rhomb. The shape and orientation of the rhomb also play a role in determining the angle.

4. Why is it important to find the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave?

Understanding the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave is important in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and fluid dynamics. It helps in predicting the behavior of waves and their interactions with different surfaces, which has practical applications in fields such as engineering and oceanography.

5. Can the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave be altered?

Yes, the angle at the apex of a rhomb with incoming linear wave can be altered by changing the properties of the rhomb or by adjusting the direction and properties of the incoming wave. This can be achieved through various means such as using different materials, changing the shape or orientation of the rhomb, or manipulating the frequency and wavelength of the incoming wave.