1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the angle for force component

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Fx' and Fy components of the given force, given that y' is 10 degrees, there is a 60 degree angle between F and X in the negative direction, and F = 360 N. Use only the Law of Sines, Law of Cosines and Law of Parallelograms.

2. Relevant equations

Sin a / A = Sin b / B

C^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2 AB Cos c

Law of Parallelograms for Vectors

3. The attempt at a solution

I've found so far a nice triangle, the one that covers the positive X axis, but I am having trouble finding Phi (which is supposed to be 10). If I can find Phi, I can solve for the components, which I know how to do. Problem is, I'm not told x' and y' are perpendicular, so I can solve using 90 degrees, or anything. I just have the 30 degrees on the bottom, and the 60 + Phi on the top left, but I'm missing the top right. Any tips on finding Phi?

Here's a pic.

Problem-1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could you give the exact statement of the original problem? I suppose the black lines are perpendicular x and y axes, but you haven't labeled them. And you haven't said what x' and y' are nor are they labeled. My guess is that they represent a rotation of the x and y axes through 10 degrees. I would also guess that you have the F vector pointed in the opposite direction if the angle between F and the x axis is -60 degrees.

Please state the problem, word for word, from where you got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook