Finding the arc length of a parametric curve from 0 to 1

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mugen Prospec
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Mugen Prospec
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



3ti+ 8t[tex]^{(3/2)}[/tex]j + 12t[tex]^{2}[/tex]k

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I thought you are supposed to take the derivative of all three then square that. those all go into the length formula

My book says answer should be 15 but I am not doing something right. my test is tomorrow, can some one give me a walk through for this one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I get 15. For this problem, the quantity under the radical is a perfect square quadratic. Try factoring the quadratic before taking the square root.