Finding total length of a parametric curve

In summary, the problem asks to find the total length and partial arc length of a curve given by t --> (cos^3(t), sin^3(t)) where t is between 0 and ∏/2 in radians. The length can be found using the formula S = ∫\sqrt{xdot^2 + ydot^2} dt, where xdot and ydot are the derivatives of the x and y components of the curve. After simplifying and using integration by substitution, the length can be expressed as an indefinite integral, which can then be evaluated using the given limits. However, care must be taken when evaluating the indefinite integral, as the square root must be taken as the positive value only. This results in
Coolster7

Homework Statement

Find the total length of the curve t --> (cos^3(t), sin^3(t)), and t is between 0 and ∏/2 where t is in radians. Find also
the partial arc length s(t) along the curve between 0 and ∏/2

Homework Equations

The length is given by:

S = ∫[itex]\sqrt{xdot^2 + ydot^2}[/itex] dt

The Attempt at a Solution

xdot = -3sin(t)cos^2(t) and ydot = 3sin^2(t)cos(t)

so subst. these into the formula gave me:

S = ∫[itex]\sqrt{9sin^2(t)cos^4(t)+9sin^4(t)cos^2(t)}[/itex]

I then used integration by subst. using u^2 = 9sin^2(t)cos^4(t)+9sin^4(t)cos^2(t)

The method I have been shown tells me to differentiate both sides and use this to subst. back into the intregal to solve.

After differentiation and some cancelling I have arrived at the following:

2u du = 18sin(t)cos^5(t) - 18cos(t)sin^5(t) dt

now I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coolster7 said:
S = ∫[itex]\sqrt{9sin^2(t)cos^4(t)+9sin^4(t)cos^2(t)}[/itex]
Try simplifying that before trying to integrate it. One way is to convert everything to sines and see what cancels.

haruspex said:
Try simplifying that before trying to integrate it. One way is to convert everything to sines and see what cancels.

Thanks for the reply.

I realized that I could use the substitution u^2 = 9cos^4(t)sin^2(t) + 9sin^4(t)cos^2(t)

Now taking out a factor of 9sin^2(t)cos^2(t) gave me:

u^2 = 9sin^2(t)cos^2(t) (cos^2(t) + sin^2(t))

and now you can use that cos^2(t) + sin^2(t) = 1

which now leaves that:

u^2 = 9sin^2(t)cos^2(t)

so now you have:

u = 3sin(t)cos(t) and using the double angle formula 2sin(t)cos(t) = sin(2t)

this can become:

u = 3/2 * sin(2t)

Now you have to integrate this to solve. The question that I have now is, what is the difference between finding the total length and the partial arc length between the limits given?

Would the total length be:

-0.75cos(2t) + C

and then you apply the limits of 0 and ∏/2 to give the partial arc length?

Thanks again.

Coolster7 said:
Would the total length be:

-0.75cos(2t) + C
That's the indefinite integral, yes. Not sure what you mean by 'total' length.
and then you apply the limits of 0 and ∏/2 to give the partial arc length?
Yes, but I don't know why you call it the partial length. It's the length of the specified arc.
Note that if you try to take t beyond that range the length appears to go down. This is because, when you took the square root, you should have taken the positive value only. Thus, your integration step was only valid where sine is positive. To go beyond that range you'd need to split the integral into a sum of as many pieces as necessary to cope with the reversing sign.

1. What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve in which the x and y coordinates are expressed as functions of a third variable, often denoted as t. This allows for more complex and dynamic curves to be described.

2. How do you find the total length of a parametric curve?

The total length of a parametric curve can be found by using the arc length formula: L = ∫√(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 dt. This involves taking the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of x and y with respect to t.

3. What is the significance of finding the total length of a parametric curve?

Knowing the total length of a parametric curve can provide important information about the shape and behavior of the curve. It can also be useful in various real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object following a particular path.

4. Can you find the total length of any parametric curve?

In theory, the total length of any parametric curve can be found using the arc length formula. However, for some curves, the integral may be difficult or impossible to solve analytically, in which case numerical methods can be used to approximate the length.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the total length of a parametric curve?

One limitation is that the arc length formula only applies to smooth curves, meaning that the derivatives of x and y must be continuous and exist for all values of t. Additionally, the formula does not work for curves that intersect themselves, as it would result in an infinite length.