Finding the Area of a shaded region (two shapes)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Coder74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Shapes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Coder74
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I've done something similar to this before but this question is really different because it contains two shapes. Now I'm really confused and I really appreciate the help~! View attachment 6004

-Cheers
 
Attachments
  • Shaded Region.JPG
    Shaded Region.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 142
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would take the area of the circular sector $A_S$ and subtract from that the area of the isosceles triangle $A_T$ to get the shaded area $A$:

$$A=A_S-A_T$$

where:

$$A_S=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta$$ where $\theta$ is in radians.

$$A_T=\frac{1}{2}r^2\sin(\theta)$$

Can you proceed?
 
Thanks for the reply, Mark I really appreciate it!
However, I'm unfamiliar with " \theta " I haven't seen that before.
 
Coder74 said:
Thanks for the reply, Mark I really appreciate it!
However, I'm unfamiliar with " \theta " I haven't seen that before.

It is a Greek letter usually used to represent angles. In this problem, we have:

$$\theta=150^{\circ}=\frac{5}{6}\pi$$
 
Thanks again, Mark!

Triangle AT=193.21
Sphere AS=1,011.64
Shaded Area=818.43

This is what my final answers came up to be.
 
I get:

$$A=A_S-A_T=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta-\frac{1}{2}r^2\sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{2}r^2\left(\theta-\sin(\theta)\right)$$

Now plug in the given values for $r$ and $\theta$:

$$A=\frac{1}{2}(27.8\text{ in})^2\left(\frac{5}{6}\pi-\frac{1}{2}\right)=\frac{1}{12}(27.8\text{ in})^2\left(5\pi-3\right)\approx818.4\text{ in}^2\quad\checkmark$$