Finding the area of the loop in a^4 y^2 = x^4(a^2 - x^2)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Suvadip
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Curve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Suvadip
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
I have to find the area of the loop of the curve $$a^4 y^2=x^4(a^2-x^2).$$

I have confusion regarding the shape of the graph the limits of integration.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would first exploit the symmetries of the curve and consider only the first quadrant. Then find the $x$-intercepts to obtain the limits of integration, after which a trigonometric substitution works nicely.

Can you proceed?
 
As we can see, there are only even powers of $x$ and $y$, and so we know there is symmetry across both coordinate axes. And so the total area $A$ enclosed will be 4 times the area in the first quadrant. The non-negative $x$-intercepts are found by equating $y$ to zero:

$$0=x^4\left(a^2-x^2 \right)=x^4(a+x)(a-x)$$

And so we find these intercepts are at:

$$x=0,\,a$$

And so we may state:

$$A(a)=\frac{4}{a^2}\int_0^a x^2\sqrt{a^2-x^2}\,dx$$

At this point, we may consider the substitution:

$$x=a\sin(\theta)\,\therefore\,dx=a\cos(\theta)$$

So, I will now stop at this point to give you a chance to take it from here. :D