Finding the center of mass of a homogeneous object

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Lone Wolf
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
Find the coordinates of the center of mass of the object represented in the figure.
Relevant Equations
Equation of the center of mass.
The object is:
242762

My attempt at a solution:
I divided the object into 3 different rectangles and found the coordinates for the center of mass of each one, considering the origin at point "O".
242763

Then I found the mass of each rectangle, assuming the object has an area density of σ.
m1 = 15σ; m2= 6σ; m3 = 8σ.
After that I applied the center of mass position equation for x and y coordinates.
rx = (r1x*m1+r2x*m2+r3x*m3)/(m1+m2+m3) = (0.75*15σ+2.25*6σ+3.5*8σ)/(29σ) = 1.82
ry = (5*15σ + 9*6σ + 1*8σ)/(29σ) = 4.72
So the coordinates of the center of mass would be (1.82, 4.72).
However the solutions given are: (1.77, 4.23). Please help me figure out what I did wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your area for m2. Looks like that may be the issue.
 
ChemAir said:
Check your area for m2. Looks like that may be the issue.
So you are suggesting that 2x4 is not equal to 8?
 
Near as I can tell your mistake is thinking that the book has the right answer and you don't.
 
phinds said:
So you are suggesting that 2x4 is not equal to 8?

No. I see BC(2)x CD(1.5 ) = 3. OP says 6.

And the arithmetic worked out afterward, rx=1.769... I didn't check ry.

But I was eating lunch, and I could have missed something.
 
ChemAir said:
No. I see BC(2)x CD(1.5 ) = 3. OP says 6.
Ah. My bad. I was looking at M3 even though you clearly said M2.

Interestingly (and embarassingly) enough, I made exactly the same mistake which is why I thought he had the right answer.o:)
 
ChemAir said:
Check your area for m2. Looks like that may be the issue.
Yeah that was it. Looks like I got distracted while I was solving the problem. Thanks for spotting my mistake!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ChemAir