Finding the Change of Coordinate Matrix for Standard and Custom Bases

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Punkyc7
Messages
415
Reaction score
0
Find the change of coordinate matrix from[tex]\gamma[/tex] coordinates to [tex]\beta[/tex] coordinate where [tex]\beta[/tex] is the standard basis for P2(R) and
[tex]\gamma[/tex]={ 1+t^2, t-t^2, 1-2t +t^2}

Since i can't figure out how to type matrices i will explain what I did. I made a 3 by 3 matrix and put the [tex]\beta[/tex] basis on the top of the matrix and the [tex]\gamma[/tex] basis on the row side. The I got the matrix
101
01-1
1-21

Im wondering if this is right or if I put the bases on the wrong part of the matrix because I can never remember where they go.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If your matrix is supposed to act on the vector {1,t,t^2} and produce the vector {1+t^2, t-t^2, 1-2t +t^2} then I think you have it right.