Finding the Charge on an Ion in a Zero Electric Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a proton and ion in relation to an electric field and the resulting charge on the ion. The ion is located at x1 = 6 nm while the electric field is zero at x2 = -3 nm. By using the equation for ion, it is determined that the charge on the ion is -9e, as the distance between the proton and ion is three times closer, resulting in a charge of nine times the elementary charge, -9e.
Noreturn

Homework Statement

A proton is at the origin and an ion is at x1 = 6 nm
If the electric field is zero at x2 = -3 nm , what is the charge on the ion?

Homework Equations

gif.gif

for ion

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

https://imgur.com/ryyuQBq

I just have used all my attempts besides one. So I believe I keep getting the right answer just not in terms of e. Cause I keep getting 3.6x10^-19 which when you divide by 1.602 I get the same answer of -2e.

Can anyone confirm this?

Now that I redid the math Looks like I made a input error the actual answer is -9e ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
-9e is correct. The proton is three times closer and ##3^2=9##.

1. How do you find the charge on an ion in a zero electric field?

In order to find the charge on an ion in a zero electric field, you need to know the number of protons and electrons in the ion. The number of protons represents the positive charge, while the number of electrons represents the negative charge. By subtracting the number of protons from the number of electrons, you can determine the overall charge on the ion.

2. What is an ion?

An ion is an atom or molecule that has an unequal number of protons and electrons, resulting in a net positive or negative charge. This charge allows ions to interact with electric fields and participate in chemical reactions.

3. Why is it important to know the charge on an ion in a zero electric field?

Knowing the charge on an ion in a zero electric field is important in understanding its behavior and properties. It can also help predict how the ion will interact with other ions and molecules in a given environment.

4. Can an ion have a charge of zero in a zero electric field?

Yes, an ion can have a charge of zero in a zero electric field if it has an equal number of protons and electrons. This is known as a neutral ion.

5. How does the charge on an ion in a zero electric field affect its stability?

The charge on an ion in a zero electric field can greatly affect its stability. Generally, ions with a full outer electron shell (such as noble gases) are more stable and less likely to react with other ions or molecules. Ions with a partially filled outer electron shell may be more reactive and less stable.