Finding the charge on each capacitor

In summary: The voltage V across each capacitor.In summary, The equivalent capacity of the circuit is 12 Volts.The electric charge Q1, Q2, Q3, located over each (capacitor) C1, C2, C3 - respectively.The voltage V across each capacitor.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6442/cabalb.jpg

E = 12V
C1 = 8 [uF]
C2 = 6.571 [uF]
C3 = 6 [uF]

Find:
1) CT
2) Q1, Q2, Q3 on each of the capacitors.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/478/ctcap.jpg

CT was easy. I wasn't sure how to go about finding Q1, Q2 and Q3.

The idea I had was to simply find the voltage across each of them, but that means I have to ohm's law. But I can't use ohm's law with capacitors. If these were resistors I could. But, I don't have a formula that relates voltage, current and capacitance.

I only have Q = VC

Any clues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Total charge extract from the cell is Q = C_T*E.
Across C2 potential difference is V = E.
so Q2= V*C2.
In series combination, charge are the same in each capacitor. Hence Q1 = Q3 = Q - Q2.

Total charge extract from the cell is Q = C_T*E.
Across C2 potential difference is V = E.
so Q2= V*C2.

Really? I wasn't sure if E=V in C2, but come to think about it it makes sense since the flow is uninterrupted.

So far so good. Simple enough. :)

In series combination, charge are the same in each capacitor. Hence Q1 = Q3 = Q - Q2.

A lot more simple than I would've first imagined. .

My thanks!

Femme_physics said:
rl.bhat said:
A lot more simple than I would've first imagined. .

If you would like to more fully appreciate this concept, there is nice visual information here (last diagram on that page): http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capac.html" With your embedded image, you've inspired an interesting task to see if I can translate. How about this?
(Net 10) a. The following circuit which includes three capacitors, is connected to a power source E equal 12 Volts.

(Find):
1. The equivalent capacity of the circuit.
2. The electric charge Q1, Q2, Q3, located over each (capacitor) C1, C2, C3 - respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest using the formula Q = CV to solve for the charge on each capacitor. This formula relates the charge (Q) on a capacitor to its capacitance (C) and the voltage (V) across it. In this case, we know the capacitance of each capacitor and the overall voltage across the circuit (12V). Using this formula, we can calculate the charge on each capacitor as follows:

1) CT = C1 + C2 + C3 = 8uF + 6.571uF + 6uF = 20.571uF

2) Q1 = C1V = (8uF)(12V) = 96uC
Q2 = C2V = (6.571uF)(12V) = 78.852uC
Q3 = C3V = (6uF)(12V) = 72uC

Therefore, the charges on each capacitor are Q1 = 96uC, Q2 = 78.852uC, and Q3 = 72uC. It is important to note that these are the charges on each capacitor at this specific moment in time, and they may change over time as the capacitors discharge or recharge.

1. How do you find the charge on each capacitor in a circuit?

To find the charge on each capacitor, you can use the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts. Simply plug in the values for each capacitor in the circuit and calculate the charge.

2. What is the significance of finding the charge on each capacitor?

Finding the charge on each capacitor is important because it helps us understand how much energy is stored in each capacitor. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing circuits, as well as determining the overall voltage and current in the circuit.

3. Can the charge on each capacitor be negative?

Yes, the charge on each capacitor can be negative. This occurs when the voltage across the capacitor is reversed, causing the capacitor to discharge and the charge to become negative. However, the overall charge in a closed circuit will always be conserved and remain zero.

4. Is there a limit to the amount of charge a capacitor can hold?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of charge a capacitor can hold, which is determined by its capacitance. The higher the capacitance, the more charge a capacitor can hold. However, exceeding the maximum voltage limit can also cause the capacitor to break down and fail.

5. How does the charge on each capacitor affect the overall energy in a circuit?

The charge on each capacitor contributes to the overall energy in a circuit. The more charge a capacitor holds, the more energy it stores. This stored energy can then be used to power other components in the circuit, such as resistors or light bulbs.