Finding the Cosine of the Angle Between Diagonals in a Parallelogram

• Thread starter Final777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the user is new to the forum and is seeking help with a Linear Algebra homework problem involving finding the cosine of an angle between diagonals of a parallelogram. They acknowledge the forum's preference for showing work before asking for help, but are stumped and looking for hints or assistance.
Final777
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here but a friend referenced this place and I thought I'd ask here. Some simple Linear algebra homework but I can't seem to get my head around this one.

Find the cosine of the angle Phi between the diagonals of a parallelogram whose sides are equal to a and b, if the angle between them is alpha.

I'm aware the helpers here would rather I showed some work on my part prior to asking for help, but I'm rather stumped on this, so any hints/help would be quite welcome. =|

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Final777, and welcome to Physics Forums!

This is not actually how things go around here, especially in the homework forums. You first must show us what you have tried so far, for only then the people here will try to help you!

To say you are stumped, you must have tried something so show us what you tried. One difficulty with not showing any work is that there are often several different ways of doling a problem and we cannot tell what method would be appropriate for you without seeing what you do know.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It studies the properties and structures of these mathematical objects and their relationships with each other.

What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze data, and model real-world phenomena.

What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determinants. These concepts are fundamental to understanding and solving problems in linear algebra.

What are the main operations in linear algebra?

The main operations in linear algebra include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, matrix multiplication, and the inverse of a matrix. These operations are used to manipulate and solve equations involving vectors and matrices.

Why is linear algebra important in data analysis?

Linear algebra is an essential tool in data analysis as it allows us to represent and manipulate data in a concise and efficient way. It is used to perform operations such as data transformation, dimensionality reduction, and machine learning algorithms. Linear algebra also provides the foundation for more advanced statistical and machine learning techniques.