Find a matrix ##C## such that ##C^{-1} A C## is a diagonal matrix

In summary: This means that for a given matrix ##A##, there is only one possible diagonal matrix ##\Lambda## that is similar to ##A##. Therefore, when performing the diagonalization process, we can just aim to find ##\Lambda## specifically, rather than any other diagonal matrix.
Hall
Homework Statement
Let A be a square matrix.
Relevant Equations
##C^{-1} AC##
I’m really unable to solve those questions which ask to find a nonsingular ##C## such that
$$
C^{-1} A C$$
is a digonal matrix. Some people solve it by finding the eigenvalues and then using it to form a diagonal matrix and setting it equal to $$C^{-1} A C$$. Can you please tell me from scratch the logic behind the solving those problems?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
There must be lots of resources online that show why constructing ##C## from the eigenvectors of ##A## works.

Likes PhDeezNutz
PeroK said:
There must be lots of resources online that show why constructing ##C## from the eigenvectors of ##A## works.
As well as your textbook.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Let's say you constructed a matrix ##C## from a basis of eigenvectors. What is the result of applying ##A## to one of the columns of ##C##? What, then, happens when you apply ##C^{-1}## to the result?

That being said, I read this somewhere and have no idea how this was derived. But I do know why it works.

Likes Hall
Three things to remember here is
- a diagonal matrix is one that maps ##e_i## to a multiple of ##e_i##.

- If ##v_i## is the ##i##th column of ##C##, then ##Ce_i=v_i##.

- Also by definition of the inverse, ##C^{-1} v_i = e_i##.

Now try applying all the matrices to ##e_i## and see what you get at the end.

Likes Hall
@Hall: Notice such matrix C is not guaranteed to exist for all matrices A. Some assumptions must be made on A. Do you know what they are?

Likes Hall
@Office_Shredder @WWGD Thanks for coming in. A few honorable men developed an impression that I was asking for spoon-feeding, so, it has become imperative now to unbosom what I already know and what I wanted to know:

Let ##A## be a ##2 \times 2## matrix and represents the linear transformation ##T : V \to V##, w.r.t. basis ##(e_1, e_2)##.

##T## might have two eigenvalues ##\lambda _1## and ##\lambda _2##. Then, w.r.t. eigenvectors ##u_1## and ##u_2##, the diagonal matrix
$$
\Lambda =
\begin{bmatrix}
\lambda_1 & 0\\
0 & \lambda_2\\
\end{bmatrix}$$
Will also represent ##T##. Thus, ##\Lambda## and ##A## are similar, therefore there exits a nonsingular ##C## such that
$$
\Lambda = C^{-1} A C$$

But in Question number 2 of exercise 4.10 of Apostol’s Calculus Vol II, the author just asks to convert A into a diagonal matrix by combining it thus
$$
C^{-1} AC$$
And my doubt is why do we equate it to ##\Lambda## only and not to any other diagonal matrix, say
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
\alpha &0 \\
0 & \beta\\
\end{bmatrix}$$

##A## is diagonalisable if it is similar to a diagonal matrix. It is known that ##A## is diagonalisable if and only if ##A=PDP^{-1}##, where ##D## is a diagonal matrix whose diagonal elements are the eigenvalues of ##A##. For every eigenvalue, pick an eigenvector corresponding to that value - these eigenvectors are used to make ##P##. Suffices to find bases for the individual eigenspaces, for instance.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Let's say you constructed a matrix ##C## from a basis of eigenvectors. What is the result of applying ##A## to one of the columns of ##C##? What, then, happens when you apply ##C^{-1}## to the result?

That being said, I read this somewhere and have no idea how this was derived. But I do know why it works.
Oh! Thanks. I think I can demonstrate that. Considering ##A## to be a 2 x 2 matrix, and letting its eigenvalues to be ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2##. Let the basis of eigenvectors for ##\lambda_1## be ##(x_1, x_2)## and the basis of eigenvectors for ##\lambda_2## be ##(y_1, y_2)##. Then,
$$
C =
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1 & y_1\\
x_2 & y_2\\
\end{bmatrix}$$
The first column of ##AC## (of course A times C, not air conditioner)
$$
A \times
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1 \\
x_2\\
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
\lambda_1 x_1\\
\lambda _1 x_2\\
\end{bmatrix}$$

And the second column is
$$
A \times
\begin{bmatrix}
y_1\\
y_2\\
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
\lambda_2 y_1\\
\lambda_2 y_2\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Thus, we have
$$
A ~C =
\begin{bmatrix}
\lambda_1 x_1 & \lambda_2 y_1\\
\lambda_1 x_2 & \lambda_2 y_2\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Now, multiplying that with ##C^{-1}##, we have the first column as
$$
C^{-1} \times \lambda_1
\begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\
x_2\\
\end{bmatrix}
=
\lambda _1
\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$
And the second column would be
$$
C^{-1} \lambda_2
\begin{bmatrix}
y_1\\
y_2\\
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
0\\
\lambda_2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Thus,
$$
C^{-1} A C =
\begin{bmatrix}
\lambda_1 &0\\
0 & \lambda_2\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Hence, ##A## is diagonalized.

Thanks for giving this idea.

1. How do you find a matrix C that will make C^-1AC a diagonal matrix?

To find a matrix C that will make C^-1AC a diagonal matrix, you can use the diagonalization process. First, find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrix A. Then, use these eigenvectors as the columns of matrix C. Finally, take the inverse of C and multiply it by A and then by C. This will result in a diagonal matrix.

2. Can any matrix be diagonalized using the process of finding a matrix C?

No, not all matrices can be diagonalized using this process. A matrix can only be diagonalized if it has n linearly independent eigenvectors, where n is the size of the matrix. If a matrix does not have enough eigenvectors, it cannot be diagonalized.

3. Is there a specific method for finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix?

Yes, there are various methods for finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, such as the characteristic polynomial method, the power method, and the QR algorithm. The method used may depend on the size and complexity of the matrix.

4. Can you explain the significance of having a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix has all its non-diagonal entries as zeros. This means that it is a very simple and easy to work with matrix. It also has many useful properties, such as being easy to invert and raising to a power. Diagonal matrices are commonly used in applications such as solving systems of linear equations and computing determinants.

5. Is it possible to have multiple matrices C that will make C^-1AC a diagonal matrix?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple matrices C that will make C^-1AC a diagonal matrix. This is because there can be multiple sets of eigenvectors for a single matrix, and different combinations of these eigenvectors can result in different diagonal matrices. However, the diagonal matrix that results will always have the same eigenvalues as the original matrix A.