Finding the currrent of the circuit

• Thread starter yjk91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current in a circuit with a closed switch. The speaker mentions that they were able to find the current with the switch open, but are struggling to do so with the switch closed. They ask for help in adding the resistors and the other person suggests adding the resistors in parallel.
yjk91

Homework Statement

What is the current in the circuit shown in the figure for the following? (Let R = 1 Ω and V = 12 V. Calculate the total current drawn from the battery.)
http://www.webassign.net/bauerphys1/25-p-048-alt.gif

1. what is the current when the switch is closed

The Attempt at a Solution

i had to find the current when the switch is open which is easy because it's just two series which are parallel which turn into one series

but when it's closed it is really confusing I've tried to do it several ways but i cannot determine which way i can do it. i tried adding the R1 and 5 ohms first using parallel but it wouldn't work. can you tell me a way to add the resistors?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
When it's closed, the bottom R and 1 are in parallel. Same as top R and 5. Then add up their resistances.

What is the definition of "current" in a circuit?

The current in a circuit is the flow of electric charge, measured in amperes (A). It represents the rate at which electric charges move through a specific point in the circuit.

How do you calculate the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R. Alternatively, current can be calculated by measuring the voltage across a component and the resistance of that component, then using the formula I = V/R.

What factors affect the current in a circuit?

The main factors that affect the current in a circuit are the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the circuit components, and the type of material used in the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can alter the current in the circuit.

How does the current flow in a circuit?

In a closed circuit, current flows from the positive terminal of a battery or power source, through the circuit components, and back to the negative terminal of the source. The flow of current is caused by the movement of negatively charged electrons.

What are the units of measurement for current?

The standard unit of measurement for current is amperes (A), named after the French physicist André-Marie Ampère. Smaller units, such as milliamperes (mA) and microamperes (μA), are also commonly used to measure smaller currents.