Determining Current Direction in a Charging RC Circuit

In summary, when the switch is closed, current flows clockwise from the battery to resistor R1 and down through the switch. For the capacitor, it is fully charged when the switch is closed and then discharges through resistor R2. The direction of current for a charging capacitor is determined by the direction of the flow of charge, which is from the positive plate to the negative plate.
jolly_math
Homework Statement
In the diagram below, the switch S has been open for a long time. It is then suddenly closed. TakeEe = 10.0 V, R1 = 50.0 kΩ, R2 = 100 kΩ, and C = 10.0 µF. Let the switch be closed at t = 5.0 s. Determine the current in the switch as a function of time.
Relevant Equations
I(t) = -I/RC * e^(-t/RC)
1676229825417.png

After the switch is closed, current flows clockwise from the battery to resistor R1 and down through the switch.

I don't understand the reasoning for the following: the current from the capacitor flows counterclockwise and down through the switch to resistor R2. How do I determine the direction of current when a capacitor is charging? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jolly_math said:
I don't understand the reasoning for the following: the current from the capacitor flows counterclockwise and down through the switch to resistor R2. How do I determine the direction of current when a capacitor is charging? Thank you.
This capacitor is fully charged when the switch is closed. At that point the battery is effectively disconnected from the capacitor and the capacitor discharges through ##R_2##. Are you asking about a different problem?

Likes jolly_math and vanhees71

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is used to control the flow of electric current and store electrical energy.

2. How does the current flow in an RC circuit?

The current in an RC circuit flows from the positive terminal of the voltage source, through the resistor, and into the capacitor. It then flows back to the negative terminal of the voltage source.

3. What determines the direction of current in an RC circuit?

The direction of current in an RC circuit is determined by the polarity of the voltage source and the orientation of the components (resistor and capacitor) in the circuit. The current always flows from positive to negative, so the direction of the current will depend on the orientation of the components.

4. Does the direction of current change in an RC circuit?

Yes, the direction of current in an RC circuit can change depending on the state of the capacitor. When the capacitor is charging, the current flows in one direction, but when it is discharging, the current flows in the opposite direction.

5. How does the current change over time in an RC circuit?

The current in an RC circuit changes over time as the capacitor charges or discharges. At the beginning, the current is at its maximum value, but as the capacitor charges, the current decreases until it reaches zero. When the capacitor discharges, the current increases from zero to its maximum value again.