1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the curvature of a space curve

1. Oct 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the curvature of the car's path, K(t)
    Car's Path: [itex] r(t) = \Big< 40cos( \frac {2 \pi}{16}t ) , 40sin( \frac {2 \pi}{16}t ), \frac{20}{16}t \Big> [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] K(t) = \frac { |r'(t)\:X \:r''(t)|}{|r'(t)|^3 } [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is part of a massive 6 part question, a,b,c,d,e,f. This is part e. I already have r'(t) and r''(t) as well as r'(t) x r''(t). I'm just getting totally lost in the algebra, and I don't know if I am on the right track:
    [itex] r'(t) = \Big< -5 \pi sin( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t) , 5 \pi cos( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t) , \frac{20}{16} \Big> [/itex]
    [itex] r''(t) = \Big< \frac{ -5 \pi ^2 cos( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t )}{8} , \frac{ -5 \pi ^2 sin( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t )}{8} , 0 \Big>[/itex]
    [itex] r'(t) \: X \: r''(t) = \big< \frac{ -125 \pi sin( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t )}{32} , \frac{ -25 \pi ^2 cos( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t )}{32} , \Big[ \frac{25 \pi ^3}{8} \Big]\Big[cos(\frac{2 \pi}{16}t) \Big]^2 + \frac{125 \pi ^2}{8} \Big> [/itex]

So I know the next step will be to get the magnitude of this. Does this look right so far? I have to admit, this is probably the hardest problem (algebra-wise) I have ever done in college so far.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't check your work, but I can tell you that I certainly would have started with$$
    \vec r(t) = \langle a\cos(bt),a\sin(bt),ct\rangle$$and put the constants in at the end.

4. Oct 18, 2016 #3
    Well sure, I'm positive I have done the derivatives right. I was told by someone that the 't' will cancel somewhere, and the answer will simply be a number. I just can't see how 't' will cancel. I was also told it was related to the identity sin^2(t) + cos^2(t) = 1, but when I did take the magnitude of this it was horrendous.

5. Oct 18, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I will just repeat my advice: do it again with ##a,~b,~c##. It will cut down mistakes and make it apparent where to use the sine-cosine identity. It isn't "horrendous".

6. Oct 19, 2016 #5
    Okay I took your advice, which helped a ton. I'm just hoping I didn't make any stupid arithmetic errors. When I crossed r'(t) X r''(t) I got:
    [itex] \big< ab^2c\:sin(bt), -ab^2c\:cos(bt),a^2b^3 \big> [/itex]
    I took the magnitude and got:
    [itex] ab^2\sqrt{a^b+b^2+1} [/itex]
    I then took the magnitude of r'(t) cubed and got:
    [itex] (a^2 + b^2 + c^2)^{3/2}[/itex]
    I plugged everything back in for a,b and c and got 0.01. Seems kind of low, I'm not sure if i have made some kind of arithmetic error

7. Oct 19, 2016 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with the cross product, but check that last line. I get a different value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted