Finding the curvature of a space curve

In summary: Also, remember to take the absolute value of the cross product before dividing by the cube of the magnitude of the derivative of the car's path. In summary, the curvature of the car's path can be found by taking the magnitude of the cross product of the derivative of the path and the second derivative of the path, divided by the cube of the magnitude of the derivative of the path. This will result in a numerical value.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

Find the curvature of the car's path, K(t)
Car's Path: [itex] r(t) = \Big< 40cos( \frac {2 \pi}{16}t ) , 40sin( \frac {2 \pi}{16}t ), \frac{20}{16}t \Big> [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] K(t) = \frac { |r'(t)\:X \:r''(t)|}{|r'(t)|^3 } [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part of a massive 6 part question, a,b,c,d,e,f. This is part e. I already have r'(t) and r''(t) as well as r'(t) x r''(t). I'm just getting totally lost in the algebra, and I don't know if I am on the right track:
[itex] r'(t) = \Big< -5 \pi sin( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t) , 5 \pi cos( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t) , \frac{20}{16} \Big> [/itex]
[itex] r''(t) = \Big< \frac{ -5 \pi ^2 cos( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t )}{8} , \frac{ -5 \pi ^2 sin( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t )}{8} , 0 \Big>[/itex]
[itex] r'(t) \: X \: r''(t) = \big< \frac{ -125 \pi sin( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t )}{32} , \frac{ -25 \pi ^2 cos( \frac{2 \pi}{16}t )}{32} , \Big[ \frac{25 \pi ^3}{8} \Big]\Big[cos(\frac{2 \pi}{16}t) \Big]^2 + \frac{125 \pi ^2}{8} \Big> [/itex]

So I know the next step will be to get the magnitude of this. Does this look right so far? I have to admit, this is probably the hardest problem (algebra-wise) I have ever done in college so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your work, but I can tell you that I certainly would have started with$$
\vec r(t) = \langle a\cos(bt),a\sin(bt),ct\rangle$$and put the constants in at the end.

Well sure, I'm positive I have done the derivatives right. I was told by someone that the 't' will cancel somewhere, and the answer will simply be a number. I just can't see how 't' will cancel. I was also told it was related to the identity sin^2(t) + cos^2(t) = 1, but when I did take the magnitude of this it was horrendous.

I will just repeat my advice: do it again with ##a,~b,~c##. It will cut down mistakes and make it apparent where to use the sine-cosine identity. It isn't "horrendous".

Okay I took your advice, which helped a ton. I'm just hoping I didn't make any stupid arithmetic errors. When I crossed r'(t) X r''(t) I got:
[itex] \big< ab^2c\:sin(bt), -ab^2c\:cos(bt),a^2b^3 \big> [/itex]
I took the magnitude and got:
[itex] ab^2\sqrt{a^b+b^2+1} [/itex]
I then took the magnitude of r'(t) cubed and got:
[itex] (a^2 + b^2 + c^2)^{3/2}[/itex]
I plugged everything back in for a,b and c and got 0.01. Seems kind of low, I'm not sure if i have made some kind of arithmetic error

dlacombe13 said:
Okay I took your advice, which helped a ton. I'm just hoping I didn't make any stupid arithmetic errors. When I crossed r'(t) X r''(t) I got:
[itex] \big< ab^2c\:sin(bt), -ab^2c\:cos(bt),a^2b^3 \big> [/itex]
I took the magnitude and got:
[itex] ab^2\sqrt{a^b+b^2+1} [/itex]
I agree with the cross product, but check that last line. I get a different value.

1. What is the definition of curvature of a space curve?

The curvature of a space curve is a measure of how much the curve deviates from being a straight line. It describes the amount of bending or turning that occurs at each point on the curve.

2. How is the curvature of a space curve calculated?

The curvature of a space curve can be calculated using the formula:

K = |dT/ds| / |ds/ds|

where T is the unit tangent vector and s is the arc length parameter.

3. What is the significance of finding the curvature of a space curve?

Finding the curvature of a space curve is important in many areas of mathematics and physics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects in space, study the geometry of surfaces, and solve problems in differential geometry and calculus.

4. How does the curvature of a space curve relate to the radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is the reciprocal of the curvature. This means that as the curvature increases, the radius of curvature decreases. In other words, a curve with a high curvature will have a smaller radius of curvature and vice versa.

5. Can the curvature of a space curve change at a single point?

Yes, the curvature of a space curve can change at a single point. This is known as a point of inflection and it occurs when the curvature changes from positive to negative or vice versa. At these points, the curve changes from being convex to being concave or vice versa.