Finding the Delta Function of a Thin Ring

In summary: I'm not sure I like it much because initially I thought the ring was spinning about its own axis with origin at the center. So I went about solving it for that case and I thought I had a mistake somewhere because I couldn't get to the same answer Griffiths did. Then to my dismay it's not what he wanted. -_- But I don't know, maybe it's better to not know how you're supposed to solve it and figure out both ways?
DrPapper

Homework Statement

[/B]
A very thin plastic ring (radius R) has a constant linear charge density, and total charge Q. The ring spins at angular velocity [itex] \omega [/itex] about its center (which is the origin). What is the current I, in terms of given quantities? What is the volume current density J in cylindrical coordinates? (This may be a little tricky, since the ring is "very thin", there will be some [itex] \delta [/itex] functions. I suggest writing down a formula for [itex] \rho [/itex](s, [itex] \phi[/itex], z) first. And, remember that J should be a vector!)

Homework Equations

[/B]
My problem is finding these, one might say it is "My real question".

The Attempt at a Solution

For the current I claimed that I=[itex]\omega \lambda[/itex] and [itex]\lambda [/itex]=Q/2[itex]\pi [/itex]R therefore I=[itex]\omega [/itex]Q/2[itex]\pi [/itex]R

I feel pretty strong about that on the basis that current is due to a moving charge and that the ring itself is a charge distribution that is spinning. However, if someone could verify that I'd be very grateful.

My real question is in regards to finding the delta function. My thoughts were that radially the ring is infinitely thin and it would also be going along the Z axis. However the length is just 2[itex]\pi[/itex]R so I just need to multiply these together as such my volume would become:

V=[itex]\delta[/itex](s-R)[itex]\delta[/itex](z-z')2[itex]\pi[/itex]R

I choose to use z' since the problem never actually tells us where along z the loop is situated.

Since [itex]\rho[/itex] is just charge per unit volume then:

[itex]\rho[/itex]=Q/[itex]\delta[/itex](s-R)[itex]\delta[/itex](z-z')2[itex]\pi[/itex]R

Once I have this figured out I can move on to finding J.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrPapper said:
I just need to multiply these together as such my volume would become:

V=δ(s-R)δ(z-z')2πR
This is not correct, it even has the wrong units! Note that the delta functions have the units of the reciprocal of their arguments. The volume is also not a function of s and z.

Hint: You want the density to be a function such that when you integrate it over all of space you get the total charge.

Likes DrPapper
Orodruin said:
This is not correct, it even has the wrong units! Note that the delta functions have the units of the reciprocal of their arguments. The volume is also not a function of s and z.

Hint: You want the density to be a function such that when you integrate it over all of space you get the total charge.
First, thank you for your help. I recall now about the delta's having reciprocal units of their arguments. I'm confused as to why isn't the volume of the wire a function of s and z? Since I'm working in cylindrical coordinates doesn't any volume in this space have to be a function of the three coordinates?

I had found a similarly worked example for spherical coordinates, where after some work with the delta function they they tested it by integrating to find the total charge Q. So, would it be correct to think that your hint is a way of testing that I've gotten the correct form, once I have a form to test? Thanks again in advance. :D

DrPapper said:
Since I'm working in cylindrical coordinates doesn't any volume in this space have to be a function of the three coordinates?
Volume is not a function of coordinates, it is a property of a region.

DrPapper said:
So, would it be correct to think that your hint is a way of testing that I've gotten the correct form, once I have a form to test?
Right.

This is what I've been able to come up with thus far:

It would not matter where z' is, the range will still simple be a point. As such I'll call z'=0. The radial part has a point at s'=R. And there is no dependence on [itex]\phi[/itex] so omit it.

Now in general [itex]\delta[/itex](r-r')=1/s*[itex]\delta[/itex](s-s')[itex]\delta[/itex]([itex]\phi-\phi')\delta[/itex](z-z')

But given our conditions and that we need a resulting charge, add a to be determined constant A and it becomes:

[itex]\delta[/itex](r-r')=1/s*[itex]\delta[/itex](s-R)[itex]\delta[/itex](z-0)

So

Q=[itex]\iiint [/itex] A/s [itex] \delta (s-R) \delta [/itex] (z) s dsd [itex]\phi [/itex]dz

Which evaluates to
Q=A*1*2[itex]\pi[/itex]*1=A2[itex]\pi[/itex]

So

A=Q/2[itex]\pi[/itex]

Then;

[itex]\rho [/itex]=[itex] Q \delta (s-R) \delta (z) \over 2 \pi s [/itex]

Is this correct? If so, is it correct for the right reasons? :rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:

Yes, it is correct.

Likes DrPapper
I think there's something missing in the question. Is the ring rotating around the axis through its center perpendicular to its plane or in this plane. This makes a difference!

vanhees71 said:
I think there's something missing in the question. Is the ring rotating around the axis through its center perpendicular to its plane or in this plane. This makes a difference!
From the attempt, I would have taken it as rotation around the axis perpendicular to the circle's plane and this is also how I would probably have interpreted the question if unspecified. But in general, yes, it makes a huge difference.

Apart from that, OP has still not given a final expression for the current density.

Sure, but if the rtation axis is really perpedicular to the circle's plane, it's now no more problem. Hint: how to get ##\vec{j}## from ##\rho##? You need a vector, and a current density is the number of charges flowing through a test area per area and time!

vanhees71 said:
The problem statement says it's rotating about its center, not about an axis passing through the center that lies in the plane of the ring, so I'd interpret it the way the OP did.

Ha ha, yeah the interpretation of how the ring was rotating was ambiguous. Happened a few times. From the example problems in the Griffith's text I assumed what he meant is the ring rotates about the z-axis and in the xy plane. Turns out it's what he wanted. :D

Orodruin said:
Yes, it is correct.
Thank you for helping me out with this! It helps even just knowing "yes, that's right" or "no, try again." I liked your tips too.

I turned in the assignment and turns out I got everything else right as well.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a Delta Function of a Thin Ring?

The Delta Function of a Thin Ring is a mathematical representation of a thin ring, which is a circular object with a very small thickness. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the behavior and properties of thin rings.

2. How is the Delta Function of a Thin Ring calculated?

The Delta Function of a Thin Ring is calculated using the formula D(r) = (1/2πr)δ(r), where r is the radius of the ring and δ(r) is the Dirac delta function. This formula takes into account the radius of the ring and the infinitesimal thickness of the ring to accurately represent its behavior.

3. What is the significance of the Delta Function of a Thin Ring?

The Delta Function of a Thin Ring is significant because it allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of thin rings in various physical systems. It is commonly used in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and elasticity.

4. Can the Delta Function of a Thin Ring be used for non-circular shapes?

No, the Delta Function of a Thin Ring is only applicable to circular shapes. For non-circular shapes, different mathematical representations such as the Delta Function of a Thin Disk or the Delta Function of a Thin Plate may be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Delta Function of a Thin Ring?

The Delta Function of a Thin Ring has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of circular objects such as tires, gears, and pipes. It is also used in the study of circular waves, such as sound waves and water waves, and in the analysis of circular structures such as bridges and towers.