Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the derivitive using limits?

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    I've stumbled across a question. It must be solved using limits. I just don't know where to start. After doing the f(x+h) - f (x) / h i end up with a cluster that cannot be simplified... any help would be great.

the equation is as follows.

y = cube root( X^4 - 3X)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    Very interesting. I'm not sure how to prove this either, but I'm really interested in seeing the solution!

I think the core difficulty in this problem is with the root, so let's simplify the problem. How do we find f' for f(x) = sqrt(x)?

Then, we can probably generalize to n-th roots and use the chain rule to finish it off.

My guess is that you have to abuse the relation [tex]\sqrt[n]{x} = e^{\ln(x^{\frac{1}{n}})} = e^{n \ln(x)}[/tex]. If you were a brutish proof person, you could probably do something with the taylor series of [tex]e^x[/tex] and ln(x) to solve it with limits.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  4. Sep 30, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

The difference of two cubes can be factored this way:

A^3 - B^3 = (A-B)(A^2 + AB + B^2)

This works for any quantities [tex] A, B[/tex], so (curse the database errors which prevent preview from working)

a-b = \left(a^{1/3} - b^{1/3}\right)\left(a^{2/3} + a^{1/3} b^{1/3} + b^{1/3}\right)

The numerator of the difference quotient has

a & = \left((x+h)^4 - 3(x+h)\right)^{1/3}\\
    b & = \left(x^4 - 3x \right)^{1/3}

To rationalize the difference quotient multiply by this fraction:

\frac{\left((x+h)^4 - 3(x+h)\right)^{2/3} + \left((x+h)^4 - 3(x+h)\right)^{1/3} \left(x^4 - 3x\right)^{1/3} + \left(x^4 - 3x\right)^{2/3}}{\left((x+h)^4 - 3(x+h)\right)^{2/3} + \left((x+h)^4 - 3(x+h)\right)^{1/3} \left(x^4 - 3x\right)^{1/3} + \left(x^4 - 3x\right)^{2/3}}

this will leave you with (use the second factoring formula from the top of my post)

\frac{\left((x+h)^4 - 3(x+h)) - (x^4 - 3x)\right)}{h\left((x+h)^4 - 3(x+h)\right)^{2/3} + \left((x+h)^4 - 3(x+h)\right)^{1/3} \left(x^4 - 3x\right)^{1/3} + \left(x^4 - 3x\right)^{2/3}}

This still isn't pretty, but the work of taking the limit can now be performed.
  5. Sep 30, 2008 #4
    whoa thanks... now trying to understand it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?