Finding the distance in an acceleration problem?

• Thread starter SoConfused__
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: Yes, that is correct. Good job! In summary, the distance required to stop a car going 80km/h with an acceleration of -6.0m/s2 is 41 meters. To solve for this, one must first convert the acceleration from m/s2 to km/h2 by dividing it by 3600 seconds and then squaring it. This results in a conversion factor of 1/12960. Then, using the formula d=(v1+v2/2)t, we can find the time it takes for the car to stop, which is 0.0045 hours. Finally, plugging this into the formula for distance, we get 41 meters.
SoConfused__

Homework Statement

What distance is required to stop a car going 90km/h if the car can stop with an acceleration of -6.0m/s2?

Homework Equations

a = v2-v1/t
d = (v1+v2/2)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking first we have to solve for t. Which would be the speed divided by acceleration, which is -0.36 km/h^2 over 80km/h which is 0.0045 hours.

Now to solve for distance, it would be 80km/2 x 0.0045

Which leaves me with 0.18 which is completely wrong because the answer is supposed to be 41 m.

Help please? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops speed over acceleration is actually 80km/h over -0.36km/h, but that still gives me the wrong answer..

Check your equation for D again.

It's right ?

D = (V1 + v2/2) x T

1. Is it 90 or 80 km/h?
2. your formula should be [tex]\Delta d=\frac{v_{1}+v_{2}}{2}\Delta t[/tex]

It says 80km on my sheet.
But yeah, that is the formula I am using.
(I do v1+v2 first, and then divide it by 2)

I think I see your mistake. How did you convert [tex]m/s^{2}[/tex] to [tex]km/h^{2}[/tex]

Oh sorry for writing 90 in the first post, that was a typo. Should be 80km.

Okay so it's 80km/h.
I converted that -5.0m/s into km/^s by doing this:

-5/1000
= - 0.005

Then I multiplied this by 60..

But now I'm getting -0.3. x_x
Ahh, can anyone thoroughly help me? This is so frustrating! I am so lost. =(

Ok, I think the only mistake you made was this conversion. It's acceleration, therefore has a unit of either [tex]m/s^{2}[/tex] or [tex]km/h^{2}[/tex], notice the square in the bottom. I tried converting it and got [tex]1m/s^{2}=12960km/h^{2}[/tex]

How did you get that?

Now I just confused 2 questions together. Forget this whole thing, it's a flop. =(
I'll ask my teacher.

Ok, this is what I did.
[tex]1km/h^{2}=1000m/(3600s)^{2}[/tex]
Try and see what you get.

Oh, so I have to square the seconds in the speed part?

of course!

Now I got -0.1296..
Kinda on the right track.

I did -0.006/(0.36^2)

nope, still wrong. 1/3600 is not equal to 0.36.

Is this considered partially right?
0.006km/3600 seconds?

You really need to work on unit conversion. Let me show you:
[tex]1km/h^{2}=1000m/(3600s)^{2}[/tex] 1km is replaced by 1000m, and 1h is replace by 3600s.
[tex]1km/h^{2}=1000m/(3600^{2}s^{2})[/tex] notice that both the 3600 and s are squared.

[tex]1km/h^{2}=\frac{1000}{3600^{2}}\frac{m}{s^{2}}[/tex] separate the unit from the numbers.

[tex]1km/h^{2}=\frac{1}{12960}\frac{m}{s^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]12960km/h^{2}=1\frac{m}{s^{2}}[/tex]

Right?

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate distance in an acceleration problem?

To calculate distance in an acceleration problem, you can use the formula d = v0t + ½at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance in an acceleration problem?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, while distance represents the total length traveled by the object. In an acceleration problem, the distance is calculated using the formula mentioned above, while displacement is calculated using d = vft - ½at2, where vf is the final velocity.

3. How does acceleration affect the distance traveled?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the distance traveled. This means that the greater the acceleration, the larger the distance traveled in a given amount of time. It is important to note that the direction of the acceleration also plays a role in the distance traveled.

4. Can you find the distance in an acceleration problem without knowing the time?

No, the time is a crucial factor in calculating the distance in an acceleration problem. The formula for distance involves the time variable, so it is necessary to know the time in order to find the distance.

5. How do you determine the acceleration if the distance and time are known?

To determine the acceleration, you can rearrange the formula for distance to solve for acceleration. This will give you a = 2(d - v0t) / t2, where a is the acceleration, d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time.