1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the eigen function for an infinite square well (quantum mechanics)

1. Nov 6, 2012 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Quantum mechanics is absolutely confusing me.

A proton is confined in an infinite square well of length 10-5nm.

Calculate the wavelength and energy associated with the photon that is emitted when the proton undergoes a transition from the first excited state (n=2) to the ground state (n=1).

In what region of the electromagnetic spectrum does this wavelength belong?

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really sure what I'm doing at all.

But I started with the time independent Schrodinger equation. For region I and III, (where the potential is infinite) then the eigenfunction must be 0.

So I put in a potential of zero for the second region and got

[itex]\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} + k^2\psi = 0[/itex] where [itex]k^2 = \frac{2mE}{\hbar}[/itex]

Looks like a second order diff eq, so I tried to solve it. Solutions to the characteristic equation were ±ik...

From here I am a little stumped, I didn't take notes, and I can't remember what the solution was that he used in class.

But anyway if I'm just going by my normal diff eq understanding,

[itex]\psi = Acos(kx)+Bsin(kx)[/itex]

What's throwing me off is that I recall he had exponential solutions with imaginary components in them. These would oscillate, and so does my solution, but even if I had my solution in his form, what next?

Where does the length of the well come into play? What does n=2 -> n=1 mean?
    Am I making this more complicated than it should be?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook