Probability of Finding a Particle in a Small Interval in an Infinite Square Well

In summary, the probability of finding the particle in the interval Δx = .006L at the point x = 3L/4 is 0.006.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A particle is in the n=1 state in an infinite square well of size L. What is the probability of finding the particle in the interval Δx = .006L at the point x = 3L/4?

Homework Equations

ψ(x) =√(2/L) sin(nπx/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem states that because Δx is very small I don't need to do any integration. I've been integrating anyway because it's fun in this particular case- but my problem is what to do with x = 3L/4. I've integrated up to x= 0.006L in ψ2(x) and I'm getting the correct answer for if the particle was at x=L/2. What do I do here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You show your work and then we can comment :smile:. 'up to x = 0.006 L' makes me feel uneasy: up to x = 0.006 L from where ?

So here is the integration from 0 to 0.006L. I tried the integration from 0.006L to 3L/4 also and I am getting a number greater than 1...

Attachments

• IMG_17111.jpg
    IMG_17111.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 382
Holy **** the answer was simply 0.006. can you please explain this to me?

Disaster ! But the original exercise asks about probability to find the bugger in an interval of width 0.006 L at 3/L/4 , so I would be reassured if you integrated from 0.75 L to 0.7506 : or so. Since the sine varies only little in uch a small interval, you can just take the value. But, if I may ask: what do you integrate (what's the integrand) ? (edit: never mind, iI can see you do it right from the grey-on grey picture). Now about the value.

I figured that since at L/2 there would be the highest probability at that point. At 3L/4 you're a little bit further right in the well and since the probability of finding a particle represents a sine wave then it would have to be a number smaller than what I got integrating from 0 to 0.006L (which was twice 0.006L) but how are you to know that it's at exactly 0.006L?

Doesn't sound good to me, but I can be wrong...
[edit] no, sounds good to me. Why ?

The integrand is √(2/L) sin2 (nπx/L)

Vitani11 said:
So here is the integration from 0 to 0.006L. I tried the integration from 0.006L to 3L/4 also and I am getting a number greater than 1...
You missed a factor 1/2: ##\quad{\bf 2} \sin^2x = 1-\cos 2x##

[edit] and the numerics look mistaken too: for small x , ##\ x-1/2 \sin2x ## should be closer to 0.

Vitani11 said:
The integrand is √(2/L) sin2 (nπx/L)
so at 3L/4 that sine squared is 1/2, and ## {2\over L } {1\over 2 } 0.006 L = 0.006 ##

Simple exercise, lots to learn !. (not only you, me 2)

Likes Vitani11
I see. Thank you.

What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe a particle confined to a finite space. It consists of an infinitely deep potential well with impenetrable walls on all sides.

What is the significance of an infinite square well in quantum mechanics?

The infinite square well model is used to demonstrate the principles of quantization and wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics. It also serves as a simplified representation of more complex systems.

How does the energy of a particle in an infinite square well change?

In an infinite square well, the energy of a particle is quantized, meaning it can only have certain discrete values. As the particle moves from one energy state to another, it absorbs or releases energy in discrete amounts.

Why is the infinite square well often used as a starting point for solving quantum mechanics problems?

The infinite square well model is used as a starting point because it is relatively simple and can be solved exactly using mathematical techniques. It also provides a good approximation for more complex systems.

What are some real-world applications of the infinite square well model?

The infinite square well model has been used to study the behavior of electrons in atoms, the vibrational modes of molecules, and the behavior of particles in semiconductor devices. It also has applications in fields such as computational chemistry and materials science.