Is state an energy eigenstate of the infinite square well

In summary, the conversation discusses whether state ψ(x) is an energy eigenstate of the infinite square well, where ψ(x) is a linear combination of φ1(x), φ2(x), and φ3(x) with constants a, b, and c. The conversation also mentions the attempt at a solution, which involves finding the eigenstates of the potential V(x), which is part of the Hamiltonian operator. The conversation also includes a side question about the relationship between the Hamiltonian and the potential in the case of the infinite well.
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

Is state ψ(x) an energy eigenstate of the infinite square well?

ψ(x) = aφ1(x) + bφ2(x) + cφ3(x)

a,b, and c are constants

Homework Equations

Not sure... See attempt at solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve, and my book does not address this type of problem.
My one guess was to let the potential V(x) of the infinite square well be analogous to the Hamiltonian operator, and to then find the eigenstates of V(x). But I don't know how to do that, nor do I know if that is even right.
It would be helpful if someone could point me in the right direction on this one. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential V is not "analogous" to the hamiltonian - it is part of the hamiltonian.
The hamiltonian operator is: $$\hat H = \frac{\hat p}{2m} + V$$ ... but what are ##\varphi## ?

φ is the eigenstate of H, right? How do you calculate the eigenstates of H? Are they solutions of the differential equation that represents H?

Side question: In the case of the infinite well is it correct that H = V because the momentum is always going to be 0?

1. What is an energy eigenstate?

An energy eigenstate is a quantum state of a system in which the energy of the system has a definite and unchanging value. This means that the system is not in a superposition of different energy states, but rather in a single, well-defined energy state.

2. What is an infinite square well potential?

An infinite square well potential is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to represent a particle confined within a certain region by an infinitely high potential barrier. It is often used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as a box or a well.

3. How is the state of a system determined in an infinite square well?

The state of a system in an infinite square well is determined by specifying the boundary conditions of the potential well and the wave function of the particle. The wave function is then used to calculate the probability of the particle being in a certain energy state, which is represented by an energy eigenstate.

4. Is every state an energy eigenstate in an infinite square well?

No, not every state is an energy eigenstate in an infinite square well. The energy eigenstates are only those states that satisfy the boundary conditions of the potential well and have a definite energy value. Other states, such as superpositions of energy states, are not energy eigenstates.

5. What is the significance of energy eigenstates in an infinite square well?

The energy eigenstates in an infinite square well have special significance because they represent the allowed energy states of a particle confined within the well. These states have a well-defined energy value and are used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in a certain energy state, which is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.