1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is state an energy eigenstate of the infinite square well

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is state ψ(x) an energy eigenstate of the infinite square well?

ψ(x) = aφ1(x) + bφ2(x) + cφ3(x)

a,b, and c are constants

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure... See attempt at solution.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to solve, and my book does not address this type of problem.
    My one guess was to let the potential V(x) of the infinite square well be analogous to the Hamiltonian operator, and to then find the eigenstates of V(x). But I don't know how to do that, nor do I know if that is even right.
    It would be helpful if someone could point me in the right direction on this one. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The potential V is not "analogous" to the hamiltonian - it is part of the hamiltonian.
    The hamiltonian operator is: $$\hat H = \frac{\hat p}{2m} + V$$ ... but what are ##\varphi## ?

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3
    φ is the eigenstate of H, right? How do you calculate the eigenstates of H? Are they solutions of the differential equation that represents H?

Side question: In the case of the infinite well is it correct that H = V because the momentum is always going to be 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted