Finding the Equation of Tangent line on cos wave

In summary, to find the equation of the normal line to y = 2cos (4x) at x = pi/3, you need to find the slope of the tangent line and use that to find the slope of the normal line. You also know a point that the line passes through.
slash123
Finding the Equation of Tangent line on cos wave!

Find the equation of the normal line to y = 2cos ( 4x) at x = [tex]\pi[/tex] / 3
I don't even know where to start with this question, i have searched the textbook and internet, help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

So tangent or normal?

Tangent should be quite easy - what do you know about value of derivative at a point?

What do you know about normal and tangent? Any specific angle between them?

its finding the normal sorry, should of said that instead,, what I've put in as the question is all the questions asks.

It doesn't change much - try to answer questions from my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since this problem doesn't have anything to do with differential equations, I am moving it to "Calculus".

Find the slope of the tangent line. From that you can find the slope of the normal line. You also know a point that the line passes through.

1. What is the equation of the tangent line on a cosine wave?

The equation of the tangent line on a cosine wave can be found using the derivative of the cosine function. It is given by the formula y = -sin(x), where x is the point of tangency on the wave.

2. How do you find the point of tangency on a cosine wave?

The point of tangency on a cosine wave can be found by taking the x-coordinate of the given point and plugging it into the derivative of the cosine function. The resulting y-value will be the y-coordinate of the point of tangency.

3. What is the significance of the tangent line on a cosine wave?

The tangent line on a cosine wave represents the instantaneous slope of the curve at a specific point. It can also be used to approximate the curve at that point and make predictions about its behavior.

4. How does the amplitude and period of a cosine wave affect the equation of the tangent line?

The amplitude and period of a cosine wave do not affect the equation of the tangent line. The derivative of the cosine function is a constant (-sin(x)), so the tangent line will have the same slope regardless of the amplitude and period of the wave.

5. Can the equation of the tangent line on a cosine wave be used to find the maximum and minimum points of the wave?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can be used to find the maximum and minimum points of a cosine wave. The maximum and minimum points occur at the points of tangency where the slope of the tangent line is equal to 0, or when the derivative of the cosine function is equal to 0.