Finding the error in iterated integral ∫₀¹∫₁₋ᵧ¹⁺ʸ(6y²+10x)dxdy

  • Thread starter Thread starter shards5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
shards5
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Evaluate the iterated integral I = [tex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{1+y}_{1-y} (6y^2+ 10x) dxdy[/tex]

Homework Equations



. . . ?

The Attempt at a Solution


Integrate with respect to x gives me the following equation.
[tex]\int^{1}_{0} 6xy^2 + 5x^2 dy[/tex]
I plug in y+1 and y-1 into x and get the following
6y2+12y3+6y4+5+10y+5y2-6y+12y3-6y4-5+10y-5y2
Most of the stuff cancels out giving me
12y3+12y3+10y+10y
which simplifies to
[tex]\int^{1}_{0} 24y^3+20y dy[/tex]
and after integration I get
6y4+10y2
and after plugging in my numbers I get
6+10 = 16 which is wrong. I am not sure where I screwed up.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use sup in LaTeX; exponents are indicated by ^, with braces {} if the exponent is more than one character long.

I only briefly looked at your work, but you might want to check your substitution of limits in the first integrand.
 
You, were right! I screwed up by substituting the limits into the y instead of x by mistake. Thanks a lot.