1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Area by an Iterated Integral

1. Oct 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use an iterated integral to find the area of the region bounded by the graphs of:
    [itex] f(x) = sin(x) [/itex]
    [itex] g(x) = cos(x) [/itex]
    between:
    [itex] x = \frac{\pi}{4} and x = \frac{5\pi}{4} [/itex]
    Find two solutions, one using a vertical representative rectangle and another using a horizontal representative rectangle.

2. Relevant equations
    Definite Integral Equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had no issue finding the solution using the vertical representative rectangle, here is my solution:
    [itex] A = \int_{\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{5\pi}{4}} \int_{cos(x)}^{sin(x)} dy dx [/itex]
    [itex] A = \int_{\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{5\pi}{4}} (sin(x) - cos(x)) dx [/itex]
    [itex] A = 2\sqrt{2} [/itex]
    The problem I am having is trying to solve this problem using a horizontal representative rectangle. I understand that the solution will be the same, but I can't even seem to set up the problem properly. Would I have to define the two fractions:
    [itex] \frac{\pi}{4} and \frac{5\pi}{4} [/itex]
    as functions of y and then make the trigonometric functions constant and then integrate?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2
    Another idea I had was to make the two trigonometric functions functions of 'y' instead of 'x', but I do not know if that is the right approach...

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re problem statement: Do you mean between ##x = \frac{\pi}{4}## and ## {\bf x} = \frac{5\pi}{4}## ? I really can't see y = 5/4 ##\pi## as a sensible bound...

Re horizontal rectangles: If I make a drawing (you should do so too!) and give it a quarter turn, it looks as if I need to split up in three pieces: one from y = 1 to ##\cos{\pi \over 4}##, one from there to ##\cos{5\pi \over 4}## and one from there to -1. bounds on x are then ## \arcsin y## and ##\pi -\arcsin y## for the first, etc.

5. Oct 15, 2014 #4
    wow I'm sorry, I messed up entering the equations, it should be
    [itex] x = \frac{5\pi}{4} [/itex]

6. Oct 15, 2014 #5
    ok, so the integral would end up looking something like:
    [itex] A = \int_{\cos\frac{pi}{4}}^{\cos\frac{5\pi}{4}} \int_{arcsin(y)}^{{\pi}-arcsin(y)} dx dy [/itex]
    or would I need to make 3 seperate integrals?

7. Oct 15, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need three integrals but you can just do the top half with two integrals and double the answer using symmetry. But remember that using a horizontal "##dy##" element your integral must have the form$$
    \int_{y_{smallest}}^{y_{largest}}~x_{right}- x_{left}~dy$$And you can read the ##y## limits from your graph.

I notice that you are giving your answers as double integrals, which has the same effect once you work out the inner integral.

8. Oct 15, 2014 #7
    yes, a double integral is just a definite integral with an integral in the integrand, no?

9. Oct 15, 2014 #8
    Thank you, I've done enough calc for one night but ill give this a shot tomorrow and post my solution

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted