1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use change in variables and iterated integrals theorm to deduce Pappus

1. Apr 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

this problem is on page 267 of Advanced calculus of several variables by Edwards, I just can't seem to get a handle on it:

Let aA be a contented set in the right half of the xz plane ,x>0. Define $$\hat{x}$$, the x-coordinates of the centroid of A, by $$\hat{x}=[1/v(A)]\int\int_Axdxdz$$. If $C$ is the set obtained by revolving about the z-axis, that is,$$C=\{(x,y,z)\in R^3:((x^2+y^2)^{1/2},z)\in A)\} $$

then Pappus' theorem asserts that $$v(C) = 2\pi\hat{x}v(A)$$

that is, that the volume of C is the volume of A multiplied by the distance traveled by the centroid of A. Note that C is the image under the cylindrical coordinates map of the set $$B = \{(r,\theta,z)\in R^3:(r,z) \in A, \theta \in [0,2\pi]\}$$

Apply the change of variables and iterated integrals theorems to to deduce Pappus' theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused about how to get v(A) in the solution. Do I integrate xhat a 3rd time with respect to theta after i change the variables dx and dz into cylindrical coordinates ?

Any hints would be apperciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #2
    solved it.. nvm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted