1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the expression for the horizontal acceleration

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    Hey folks its me again! The problem at hand gives me a potential energy function ( V(x) ) that defines the height of a particle in motion. Next to the problem is a picture of a curvy graph that is y vs x. It asks to find the expression for the horizontal acceleration. This is what I did..

[PLAIN]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3631/prob2.gif [Broken]

I started out with the conservation of Energy equation and solved for "v." Then I differentiated with respect to "t". I do not think this is correct however because "V" does not depend on "t" so, how could I differentiate "v" without getting zero? (Since no "t's" are in the equation and nothing depends on "t." Also, why would this be the horizontal acceleration? as far as I know, the "v" in the kinetic energy equation only gives speed, with no direction. So how could I get the horizontal direction?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand the question about horizontal acceleration, but to answer your immediate question, could you use the chain rule? dV/dt = dV/dx * dx/dt
    and dx/dt = velocity

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    Yeah I don't quite understand it either, all it says is a particle is moving on a friction-less wire with a function defining its height V(x). Then it says to find the horizontal acceleration.

Hey I think I could! And dV/dx = F. Again I am not sure if this expression is correct though :\

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook