Finding the expression for the horizontal acceleration

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the horizontal acceleration of a particle in motion on a friction-less wire with a potential energy function, V(x), defining its height. The initial approach was to use the conservation of energy equation and solve for velocity, but the differentiation with respect to time did not seem correct since V does not depend on time. The conversation then suggests using the chain rule, where dV/dt = dV/dx * dx/dt and dx/dt is the velocity, to find the horizontal acceleration. However, there is still uncertainty about the correctness of this expression.
Xyius
Hey folks its me again! The problem at hand gives me a potential energy function ( V(x) ) that defines the height of a particle in motion. Next to the problem is a picture of a curvy graph that is y vs x. It asks to find the expression for the horizontal acceleration. This is what I did..

[PLAIN]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3631/prob2.gif

I started out with the conservation of Energy equation and solved for "v." Then I differentiated with respect to "t". I do not think this is correct however because "V" does not depend on "t" so, how could I differentiate "v" without getting zero? (Since no "t's" are in the equation and nothing depends on "t." Also, why would this be the horizontal acceleration? as far as I know, the "v" in the kinetic energy equation only gives speed, with no direction. So how could I get the horizontal direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question about horizontal acceleration, but to answer your immediate question, could you use the chain rule? dV/dt = dV/dx * dx/dt
and dx/dt = velocity

NascentOxygen said:
I don't understand the question about horizontal acceleration..

Yeah I don't quite understand it either, all it says is a particle is moving on a friction-less wire with a function defining its height V(x). Then it says to find the horizontal acceleration.

NascentOxygen said:
could you use the chain rule? dV/dt = dV/dx * dx/dt
and dx/dt = velocity

Hey I think I could! And dV/dx = F. Again I am not sure if this expression is correct though :\

What is horizontal acceleration?

Horizontal acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity in the horizontal direction.

How is horizontal acceleration calculated?

Horizontal acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of an object's horizontal velocity with respect to time.

What is the equation for horizontal acceleration?

The equation for horizontal acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What factors affect horizontal acceleration?

The factors that affect horizontal acceleration include the initial and final velocities, the time interval, and any external forces acting on the object.

Why is finding the expression for horizontal acceleration important?

Finding the expression for horizontal acceleration is important in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in the horizontal direction, which is crucial in many fields such as physics, engineering, and transportation.