1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the force F in order to develop a moment.

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The connected bar BC is used to increase the lever arm of the crescent wrench as shown.If a clockwise moment of Ma=120 N*m is needed to tighten the nut at A and the extension d=300mm, determine the required force F in order to develop this moment.

2. Relevant equations

M=Fd

3. The attempt at a solution

Wrote the x length of BC by multiplying 0.3m*cos30, then took the x-y coordinate system through the AB(for x) and perpendicular to the AB(for y).Tried to find the angle that F makes with the x-y (ABCx), found it as 45, but the result is not correct.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your method looks ok, so please post the details of your working.

4. Nov 10, 2013 #3
    I solved it, found the angle between my x-y then I multiplied Mx and My.When I tried to do it I wasnt adding the My.That's why my result was incorrect.I also found another method by finding the distance from A to C.Thank you for your reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted