1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Force of Nucleus on a Single Electron of Plutonium

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particular nucleus of the element Plutonium contains 94 protons and 150 neutrons. What is the magnitude of the force from the nucleus on a single electron that is a distance of 0.563x10-12 m from the Plutonium nucleus?

So basically this was a homework question that I got wrong, and I'm not entirely sure what the correct answer is. I'm reworking it to study for an exam, but I want to make sure this is right so I don't keep lousing it up!

2. Relevant equations

e=1.60x10-19 C
    and F=kQ/r2
    where k is Coulomb's constant 8.99x109 Nm2/C2

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so if there are 94 protons, there should be 94 electrons.
    (94)(e)=(94)(1.60x10-19 C)=1.5x10-17 C

Where I'm getting confused is what charge I should use to find the force? Because 1.5x10-17 C is the charge of all 94 electrons and I need the magnitude of the force of the nucleus on just one electron. I'm not quite grasping this concept.

Anyway, if I blindly plug in numbers without really understanding completely what I'm doing here, I get:

F=(k(1.5x10-17 C))/(0.563x10-12 m)2
    so F=4.27x1017 N

Also, how do I type fractions on this forum? I found the button but I'm not sure where to enter my numbers so it works! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

tms

You've left something out of that equation.
    The problem asks for the force of the nucleus on a single electron. You can ignore the other 93 electrons.

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    Okay, so should I have used F=[itex]\frac{(k(q1)(q2))}(r2){}[/itex]? And then I would use e as the charge of one electron (my q2) and the charge of all 94 electrons as my q1? Or am I completely off here? Thank you!

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4
    Oh, sorry, the fraction thing still is not working for me. I meant F=(k(q1q2))/(r^2)

6. Jan 30, 2013 #5

tms

That's the way to do it.

7. Jan 30, 2013 #6
    Oh!!!! Yay!!!! Thank you so much,tms! I really appreciate it!

8. Jan 30, 2013 #7

tms

You need to put the denominator in the second set of curly braces: \frac{(k(q1)(q2))}{(r2)}
    [tex]F=\frac{(k(q1)(q2))}{(r2)}[/tex]
    You should also use subscripts and superscripts, and you can get rid of the extraneous parentheses: F=k\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}
    [tex]F=k\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}[/tex]
    If you are planning to go further in math or science, it is worth learning LaTeX. You can google for some brief introductions and tutorials.

9. Jan 30, 2013 #8
    I tried doing that, but it didn't look right when I previewed it. My browser can be kind of wonky, though, so I'll keep trying. And I've never heard of LaTeX--sounds really cool. I'll definitely google that! Thanks again for all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook