1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the force up an incline given horizontal force

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need help with part of a problem. I am having problems understanding just how to find the force up an incline when a horizontal force ("headwind") is given.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When drawing a triangle to figure it out I draw the hypotenuse as x (force I need to find) and the side adjacent to angle θ as Fapplied. From this, I get cosθ = Fapp/x, therefore x=Fapp/cosθ. However, my online homework listed it as Fapp*cosθ. Did I draw the triangle wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi OneObstacle! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    I don't understand which of x and Fapp is the force to be applied, and which is the wind. :confused:

(I also don't understand how you can have a horizontal headwind if you're facing up an incline. :redface:)

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3
    The original problem is a skier heading down an incline (sorry, confusing wording). Fapp is the headwind heading into the slope, and Force x is what I randomly assigned the force of the wind acting on the skier.

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi OneObstacle! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
    ohh! … you mean Fx is the component of the wind force in the x direction (ie up the slope)?

ok, then your book is correct …

don't start drawing triangles, just use this rule:

to find the component of a (complete) force, we always multiply by cos of the angle between

Fx = Fappcosθ :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook