1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the function, given the gradient.

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    the gradient function is |x|^p-2 x
    and i need to find the function, which apparantly is 1/p |x|^p but i can't figure out how to show this.
    This is for a bigger problem where the function must be convex. and also p>1

I tried, finding the derivative of 1/p |x|^p , but i don't get the gradient function.
    At first, I thought about this function: 1/p-1 |x|^p-1 where you can easily get the gradient function by taking the derivative but i was told that this is not a convex function.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2
    Just to clarify, you're using the standard definition of the gradient as [tex]\nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \textbf{i} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \textbf{j} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}\textbf{k}?[/tex]

In other words, [tex]\nabla[/tex] is an operation on a scalar function which returns a vector function. The functions you've given me are both scalar. Is it possible you typed it in wrong?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    yes, i have the gradient f(x)= |x|^p-2 x, and i need to find f(x), in class, the definition of gradient is just the derivative w.r.t x of f(x)
    so i am asking why 1/p |x|^p is the answer because i don't see how you can use this, to find the gradient function |x|^p-2 x. so I thought the function was something else: 1/p-1 |x|^p-1, but i was told this function is not convex.

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, you're given [tex]f'(x)=|x|^p - 2x[/tex], and you're asked to find [tex]f(x)[/tex]. First of all, have you learned antiderivatives yet? Oh, and I'm pretty sure there's no possible way for [tex]f(x)=\frac{|x|^p}{p}[/tex] for [tex]x \neq 0[/tex].

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    no the function is this: gradient f(x) = x |x|^(p-2) maybe this is more clear way to write it. and somehow get f(x) = 1/p |x|^p from it.

7. Mar 17, 2008 #6
    Oh. I see. Try remembering that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(|x|) = \texttt{sign}\ x = \frac{x}{|x|} = \frac{|x|}{x}[/tex]

8. Mar 17, 2008 #7
    ok, should i be working from the gradient f(x) -> f(x) or vice versa.
    as well , i am getting confused.
    is this correct: to work from gradient f(x) -> f(x) we integrate. and f(x)-> gradient f(x) we differentiate.
    working from f(x) -> gradient.. i dont see how i can get gradient f(x).
    and going from gradient f(x) -> f(x) , i havn't a clue how to integrate that function

9. Mar 17, 2008 #8
    yes, that's correct. Try working with the piecewise definition of [tex]|x|[/tex], i.e.

[tex]|x| = \left{ \begin{cases} x, & x>0\\ -x, & x<0\end{cases} [/tex]

10. Mar 17, 2008 #9
    so which way should i be working?
    gradient f(x) -> f(x)?

11. Mar 17, 2008 #10
    can you tell me how to integrate this? or at least start, so i can get 1/p|x|^p , i need this small part for a bigger problem and this is making me stuck.

i have thought about what you said about the piecewise, but that confuses me even more as i have to deal with not one but 2 functions now

12. Mar 17, 2008 #11
    ok, so i can get 1/px^p for the x>0 case.
    but for the x<0 case:
    i am struggling
    i have,
    integ( (-x)^(p-2) x dx)
    can i write this as:
    = integ( (-1)^p (x)^(p-2) x dx )
    so,
    = (-1)^p integ (x^(p-2) x dx)
    which is just
    = (-1)^p 1/p x^p
    now how can i put the two together... to make x into |x|?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?