Finding the geodesic equation from a given line element

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the coordinate u in terms of the coordinates x and u, but is having difficulty getting the same equations of motion for x and u. The student is uncertain if their metric tensor and inverse are correct, and is trying to use the Euler-Lagrange equation to derive equations of motion from the lagrangian, but is having trouble getting the same equation of motion for x.
Christoffelsymbol100

Homework Statement

We've got a line element [tex]ds^2 = f(x) du^2 + dx^2[/tex] From that we should find the geodesic equation

Homework Equations

Line Element:
[tex]ds^2 = dq^j g_{jk} dq^k[/tex]
Geodesic Equation:
[tex]\ddot{q}^j = -\Gamma_{km}^j \dot{q}^k \dot{q}^m [/tex]
Christoffel Symbol:
[tex]\Gamma_{km}^j = \frac{g^{jl}}{2} \left( \frac{\partial g_{lk}}{\partial q^m} + \frac{\partial g_{lm}}{\partial q^k} - \frac{\partial g_{km}}{\partial q^l}\right)[/tex]
Lagrangian in this case (no potential, just free particle)[/B]: [tex]L = T = \frac{m}{2}\dot{q}^j g_{jk} \dot{q}^k[/tex]
Coordinates: u and x

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck because I am not getting the same equations of motions for my coordinate u from the Lagrangian (with Euler-Lagrange) and the Geodesic equation, and I think, it is because I got the wrong inverse metric tensor.
My metric tensor looks like this: \begin{equation} \begin{pmatrix}f(x) & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\end{equation} .
The inverse: \begin{equation}\begin{pmatrix}1/f(x) & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\end{equation}I got 8 possible Christoffel-Symbols, but only 2 will be non-zero:
\begin{equation}\Gamma_{ux}^{u} =\Gamma_{xu}^{u} = \frac{1}{f(x)} \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x}\end{equation}
\begin{equation}\Gamma_{uu}^{x} = -\frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x}\end{equation}

If I plug those into the geodesic equation, I get 2 equations of motion. If I use the Euler-Lagrange-Equation to derive equations of motion from the lagrangian, I get the same equation of motion for x, but not for u.
Geodesic u:
\begin{equation}\ddot{u} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{f(x)}\frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} \dot{u}\dot{x} = 0\end{equation}
Euler-Lagrange for u:
\begin{equation}\ddot{u}\dot{x}\frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} = 0 \end{equation}
I think it has to do with the inverse, cause for x I get the same equation for both ways:
\begin{equation}\ddot{x} - \dot{u}^2\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} = 0\end{equation}

So my question is, is the metric tensor and it's inverse correct? If yes, where am I wrong?
Thank you ^^!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you are off by a factor of 2 in your geodesic equation. The geodesic equation is:

[itex]\ddot{x^\mu} + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \lambda} \dot{x^\nu} \dot{x^\lambda} = 0[/itex]

So for [itex]u[/itex], we have:

[itex]\ddot{u} + \Gamma^u_{\nu \lambda} \dot{x^\nu} \dot{x^\lambda} = 0[/itex]

The second term means sum over all possible values of [itex]\nu[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex]. There are two nonzero values:
[itex]\nu = u, \lambda = x[/itex] and [itex]\nu = x, \lambda = u[/itex]. So you have:

[itex]\ddot{u} + \Gamma^u_{u x} \dot{u} \dot{x} + \Gamma^u_{xu} \dot{x} \dot{u} = 0[/itex]

The second and third terms are equal, so you have:
[itex]\ddot{u} + 2 \Gamma^u_{u x} \dot{u} \dot{x} = 0[/itex]

The second problem is with your Euler-Lagrange equation for [itex]u[/itex].

You have a Lagrangian: [itex]L = \frac{m}{2} (\dot{u}^2 f + \dot{x}^2)[/itex]

Taking it in three steps:

[itex]p_u = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{u}}[/itex]
[itex]F_u = \frac{\partial L}{\partial u}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d p_u}{dt} = F_u[/itex]

What do you get for [itex]p_u[/itex] and [itex]F_u[/itex]?

stevendaryl said:
What do you get for pupup_u and FuFuF_u?

\begin{equation}p_u = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{u}} = m\dot{u}f\end{equation}
\begin{equation}\frac{\partial L}{\partial u} = 0\end{equation}
\begin{equation}\frac{dp_u}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{u}f) = m\ddot{u}f + m\dot{u}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\dot{x} = 0\end{equation}

Dividing by m and f will get me to the same geodesic (corrected) equation.
Edit: Ahh I messed up, I forgot the product ruleThank you very very much!

Last edited:

What is a geodesic equation?

A geodesic equation is a mathematical expression that describes the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, also known as a geodesic. It is commonly used in the field of differential geometry to study the properties of curved spaces.

What is a line element?

A line element is a mathematical expression that describes the infinitesimal length of a curve in a given space. It is used to calculate distances and angles on curved surfaces and is an essential component in deriving the geodesic equation.

Why is finding the geodesic equation important?

Finding the geodesic equation is important because it allows us to determine the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. This has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, where understanding the curvature of space is essential.

How do you find the geodesic equation from a given line element?

The geodesic equation can be found by applying the Euler-Lagrange equation to the given line element. This involves taking the derivative of the line element with respect to the path and setting it equal to zero. The resulting equation is the geodesic equation.

What are some real-world examples of using the geodesic equation?

The geodesic equation has been applied in various fields, such as predicting the orbits of planets in astronomy, designing efficient flight paths in aviation, and determining optimal routes for ships in marine navigation. It has also been used in the study of gravitational waves and black holes in physics.