Finding the gravitational field of a rod

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gravitational field of a homogeneous rod with even thickness and mass M and length L. The problem is divided into two parts, finding the gravitational field at a distance x from the rod on an axis normal to the midpoint of the rod, and finding the gravitational field at a distance y from the rod's midpoint on an axis through the rod in the direction of its length. The equations for gravitational potential and field are given, and the attempt at a solution involves integrating the contributions from infinitesimal lengths of the rod and using substitutions to simplify the integral. Suggestions are given for finding the field directly and using theta to solve the integral.
jjr

Homework Statement

A homogeneous rod with even thickness has mass M and length L.
a) Find the gravitational field g(x) at a distance x from the rod on an axis normal to the midpoint of the rod.
b) Find the gravitational field g(y) at a distance y from the rod's midpoint on an axis through the rod in the direction of its length.

Homework Equations

Gravitational potential V(r) = -GM/r (1)
Gravitational field g(r) = -∇V(r) (2)

Where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the relevant object and r is the distance from the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) My plan was to first work out the gravitational potential through integrating the contributions from infinitesimal lengths of the rod (from -L/2 to L/2) and then use equation (2) to find the field. The mass per length of the road is μ = M/L, so an infinitesimal piece of the rod dm = μ dl, where dl is an infinitesimal length. I got dV(r) = -[itex]\frac{G dm}{r}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{G μ dl}{r}[/itex]. The r is (pythagoras) √(x2 + l2), where l is the distance from the midtpoint of the rod. The problem arises when I try to integrate this function dV(r) = -[itex]\frac{G μ dl}{√(x^2 + l^2)}[/itex] from -L/2 to L/2. Here's when I get in trouble. This integral is a bit hairier than expected, and I find it hard to get a reasonable answer. Could someone point me in the right direction here?
I'll post my attempts at the solution for b) if I can't figure it out after getting help with a).

Thanks,
J

Physics news on Phys.org
jjr said:

Homework Statement

A homogeneous rod with even thickness has mass M and length L.
a) Find the gravitational field g(x) at a distance x from the rod on an axis normal to the midpoint of the rod.
b) Find the gravitational field g(y) at a distance y from the rod's midpoint on an axis through the rod in the direction of its length.

Homework Equations

Gravitational potential V(r) = -GM/r (1)
Gravitational field g(r) = -∇V(r) (2)

Where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the relevant object and r is the distance from the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) My plan was to first work out the gravitational potential through integrating the contributions from infinitesimal lengths of the rod (from -L/2 to L/2) and then use equation (2) to find the field. The mass per length of the road is μ = M/L, so an infinitesimal piece of the rod dm = μ dl, where dl is an infinitesimal length. I got dV(r) = -[itex]\frac{G dm}{r}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{G μ dl}{r}[/itex]. The r is (pythagoras) √(x2 + l2), where l is the distance from the midtpoint of the rod. The problem arises when I try to integrate this function dV(r) = -[itex]\frac{G μ dl}{√(x^2 + l^2)}[/itex] from -L/2 to L/2. Here's when I get in trouble. This integral is a bit hairier than expected, and I find it hard to get a reasonable answer. Could someone point me in the right direction here?
I'll post my attempts at the solution for b) if I can't figure it out after getting help with a).

Thanks,
J

I didn't really check the rest of your work, but if you want to integrate [itex]\frac{G μ dl}{√(x^2 + l^2)}[/itex],

try expressing that as [itex]\frac{\frac{G μ}{l} dl}{√(1 + \frac{x^2}{l^2})}[/itex] then making the substitution [itex]\frac{x}{l} = y[/itex] to get it into a simpler form, then substitute [itex]y = \sinh{u}[/itex].

Tried solving the integral and evaluating it from -L/2 to L/2, but it doesn't look legit. I think my reasoning has failed me at some point while setting up the expression for dV(r). The answer is suppose to be g(x) = -2 [itex]\frac{G M}{L x}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{1}{√(1+(2x/L)^2)}[/itex] i. Suggestions?

J

I think the integral is easier if you determine the field intensity directly.

ehild

Last edited:
Right you are, I was perhaps a bit vague at this point; if I can find the scalar gravitational potential field the grav. vector field is given to be its gradient.

jjr said:
Right you are, I was perhaps a bit vague at this point; if I can find the scalar gravitational potential field the grav. vector field is given to be its gradient.

Yes, I noticed it at the end. Try to find the field directly. It leads to an easier integral.

ehild

And calculate with theta, using y=xtan(θ), r=x/cos(θ).

ehild

Attachments

• rodgrav.JPG
    rodgrav.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 680

What is the formula for finding the gravitational field of a rod?

The formula for finding the gravitational field of a rod is G*lambda*x/((x^2+L^2)^1.5), where G is the gravitational constant, lambda is the linear mass density of the rod, x is the distance from the center of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

How is the gravitational field of a rod different from that of a point mass?

The gravitational field of a rod is different from that of a point mass because the rod has a finite length and mass distribution, whereas a point mass has a single point of mass. This results in a different formula and distribution of gravitational force.

What are the units for the gravitational field of a rod?

The units for the gravitational field of a rod are N/kg, which is equivalent to m/s^2. This represents the force per unit mass that a test mass would experience at a given distance from the rod.

Can the gravitational field of a rod be negative?

Yes, the gravitational field of a rod can be negative. This would occur if the direction of the gravitational force is opposite to the direction of the distance from the rod. It is important to note that the magnitude of the gravitational field will always be positive.

How does the distance from the center of the rod affect the gravitational field?

The distance from the center of the rod has a significant effect on the gravitational field. As the distance increases, the gravitational field decreases, following an inverse square law. This means that the gravitational force decreases rapidly as the distance from the rod increases.