1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the gravitational field of a rod

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1

jjr

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A homogeneous rod with even thickness has mass M and length L.
    a) Find the gravitational field g(x) at a distance x from the rod on an axis normal to the midpoint of the rod.
    b) Find the gravitational field g(y) at a distance y from the rod's midpoint on an axis through the rod in the direction of its length.

2. Relevant equations

Gravitational potential V(r) = -GM/r (1)
    Gravitational field g(r) = -∇V(r) (2)

Where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the relevant object and r is the distance from the object.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) My plan was to first work out the gravitational potential through integrating the contributions from infinitesimal lengths of the rod (from -L/2 to L/2) and then use equation (2) to find the field. The mass per length of the road is μ = M/L, so an infinitesimal piece of the rod dm = μ dl, where dl is an infinitesimal length. I got dV(r) = -[itex]\frac{G dm}{r}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{G μ dl}{r}[/itex]. The r is (pythagoras) √(x2 + l2), where l is the distance from the midtpoint of the rod. The problem arises when I try to integrate this function dV(r) = -[itex]\frac{G μ dl}{√(x^2 + l^2)}[/itex] from -L/2 to L/2. Here's when I get in trouble. This integral is a bit hairier than expected, and I find it hard to get a reasonable answer. Could someone point me in the right direction here?
    I'll post my attempts at the solution for b) if I can't figure it out after getting help with a).

Thanks,
    J

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I didn't really check the rest of your work, but if you want to integrate [itex]\frac{G μ dl}{√(x^2 + l^2)}[/itex],

try expressing that as [itex]\frac{\frac{G μ}{l} dl}{√(1 + \frac{x^2}{l^2})}[/itex] then making the substitution [itex]\frac{x}{l} = y[/itex] to get it into a simpler form, then substitute [itex]y = \sinh{u}[/itex].

4. Apr 19, 2012 #3

jjr

Tried solving the integral and evaluating it from -L/2 to L/2, but it doesn't look legit. I think my reasoning has failed me at some point while setting up the expression for dV(r). The answer is suppose to be g(x) = -2 [itex]\frac{G M}{L x}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{1}{√(1+(2x/L)^2)}[/itex] i. Suggestions?

J

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the integral is easier if you determine the field intensity directly.

ehild

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  6. Apr 19, 2012 #5

jjr

Right you are, I was perhaps a bit vague at this point; if I can find the scalar gravitational potential field the grav. vector field is given to be its gradient.

7. Apr 19, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I noticed it at the end. Try to find the field directly. It leads to an easier integral.

ehild

8. Apr 19, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And calculate with theta, using y=xtan(θ), r=x/cos(θ).

ehild

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook