1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the height of this triangle

1. Jan 11, 2007 #1
    The problem is to find h on this triangle:

With the help of the law of sines I've already finished this problem. But I tried doing it a different way and my new solution isn't working and I can't figure out why. Here's what I did:

(1) Break the bottom part like so

(2) Use tan to solve for x in two ways

tan40 = h/x (so x = (tan40)/h)
    tan47 = h/(125-x) (so x = 125 - hcot47)

(3) Since both those equations equal x, they equal each other, so I do this:

(tan40)/h = 125 - hcot47

Multiplying both sides by h, blah blah blah, I get this

h2cot47 - 125h + tan40 = 0.

So I have a quadratic equation in h. When I use the quadratic formula and do all the solving (which I'll omit since it would take a lot of space to write) I get an incorrect answer. Where did I go wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2007 #2
    Your mistake is here: tan40 = h/x (so x = (tan40)/h)

x should be equal to h / tan40
  4. Jan 11, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You correctly say

[tex] \tan 40 = \frac h x [/tex]

try solving this for x again. Perhaps you will find a different result. :smile:
  5. Jan 11, 2007 #4
    LOL!!!! I combed over my solution about a thousand times looking for what I did wrong and I couldn't see that. Thanks guys.
  6. Jan 13, 2007 #5
    The way I would of done it would of been like so...

I wouldn't of broken up 125 to x and 125-x.. I would of found one of the other sides using sin law because we can figure out the missing angle

[tex]\Theta = 180 - (40+47)[/tex]

[tex]\Theta = 93\cdot[/tex]

then apply sin law

[tex]\frac{125}{sin93} = \frac{x}{sin40}[/tex]

[tex]125*sin40 = x*sin93[/tex]

[tex]\frac{125*sin40}{sin93} = x[/tex]

[tex]80.5 = x[/tex]

then you have the right triangle which is a right angel triangle with the hypotinuse and a given angel.. thats all you need to find h using
    [tex]sin47 = \frac {h}{80.5}[/tex]
  7. Jan 13, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

No, he said he already did it that way, But did it another way and had a problem with that. Nice bit of tex though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?