1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the homogenous solution of Var.Coeff. 2nd Order ODE

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1
    It's been too long guys. I've given this ODE lots of thought and still no cigar.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are given the following ODE:
    $$ (x-a)y''-xy'+a^2y = a(x-1)^2e^x $$
    and knowing that y=e^x is a solution to the homogenous equation, find the possible values of a.

Next part: Using the obtained values, calculate the solution (y(x)) so that it's limit as x→ -∞ is contained within a finite set.
    (Also, let the solution be continuous in said set)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I replaced the known base of the homogenous solution in the equation. I got that a can be either 0 or 1.

From here I investigate for the case if a=1
    Knowing a base of the homogenous solution, I set out to find the missing one knowing a ODE of order 2 has 2 bases for the Homogenous solution. The way I tried to find it was writing it in the form of y2=α(x)ex deriving it 2 times, then replacing each expression in it's respective place in the homogenous ODE. Using the principle of superposition I rearranged the resulting expression as follows:

$$ e^x \left( x(\alpha ''+\alpha ' )-( \alpha '' +2\alpha ') \right)=0 $$

Where α is an unknown function. From here we get two seemingly contradictory equations, one points to α being e-x and the other to e-2x, each giving me a different base of the homogenous equation. This cannot be, I must be doing something wrong. But what?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

e^x is never zero, so you have the de for α(x) : α''(x-1)+α'(x-2)=0 Solve for α' first, then integrate to get α(x).

Your solutions are not correct. There is no contradiction.

4. Dec 2, 2015 #3
    I redid my calculations. Principle of superposition is not valid for findibg the homogenous since alpha is a function. Still confused on one point. If the homogenous solution I get is a sum of x and 2, its like you have two bases on top of what they gave you. Did I do something wrong?

5. Dec 2, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2 is not solution of the homogeneous equation. Have you plugged in y=2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted