Finding the Inverse Laplace of X(s)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse Laplace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement



Find the inverse Laplace of:

[tex]X(s) = \frac{3}{s^2 - 6}[/tex]

I am kind of stuck on this one. I am pretty sure this is not sinusoidal. Can I even use partial fractions on this?

Just a hint here :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably in a table. Or consider the bottom a difference of squares: [tex]s^2-(\sqrt{6})^2[/tex] and use partial fractions.
 
Interesting.

[tex]X(s) =\frac{3}{s^2 - 6}= \frac{3}{(s+\sqrt{6})(s- \sqrt{6})}= \frac{a}{s + \sqrt6} + \frac{b}{s - \sqrt6}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow a = \left( \begin{matrix}\frac{3}{(s+\sqrt{6})(s- \sqrt{6})}*({s + \sqrt6})\end{matrix} \right)_ {s\rightarrow -\sqrt6}=\frac{-3}{2\sqrt6}[/tex]

and

[tex]\Rightarrow b = \left( \begin{matrix}\frac{3}{(s+\sqrt{6})(s- \sqrt{6})}*({s - \sqrt6})\end{matrix} \right)_ {s\rightarrow +\sqrt6}=\frac{3}{2\sqrt6}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
If you wanted you could just use

[tex]L(sinh(kt))= \frac{k}{s^2-k^2}[/tex]


But partial fractions work just as well.