Finding the kinetic coefficient and acceleration

In summary: N} In summary, the boy slides down a hill at a constant speed, pulling with a force of 25newtons on a rope that is inclined at 35 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow is 0.
gracedescent
A boy drags his 60N sled at a constant speed up a 15.0* hill. He does so by pulling with a 25N force on a rope attached to the sled. If the rope is inclined at 35* to the horizontal, (a) what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between sled and snow? (b) At the top of the hill, he jumps on the sled and slides down the hill. What is the magnitude of his acceleration down the slope?

So we know:
(tension of rope) T=25N
(weight of sled) mg=60N
(m of sled) m=6.12kg
(normal force) n=56.36N
(force of gravity) Fg=20.51N

So,

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=T*cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]-mg*sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]-fk=max=ma

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy=T*sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]+n-mg*cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]=may=0?

Then,

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=25Ncos20-6.12kg*9.80m/s2*sin20-(uk*56.36N)=6.12kg*ax

ax=25Ncos20-6.12kg*9.80m/s2*sin20-(uk*56.36N)=6.12kg*ax/6.12kg

2.98-(uk*56.36N)/6.12kg=ax

So, since I have two unknowns I am lost now. And I haven't even begun part (b).

Could anyone help me and teach me to find these unknowns?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, you must remember that the sled is moving constantly uphill ! So, the acceleration must be 0. Enlightened ?

Hey, you must remember that the sled is moving constantly uphill ! So, the acceleration must be 0. Enlightened ?

What, really? Both components too? Not just Fy either by n? Hmph... why is this?

So theoretically speaking I could use this 0a circumstance to find the kinetic friction coefficient and use it in the sled + kid situation to find the downwards acceleration? Yeah, okay, that definitely seems plausible.

Thank you, prob_solv. :approve:

It is because the speed is constant . If the speed is constant, it means that there's is no acceleration.

Oh, okay. I see.

But:

When I solve the problem I hit a wall.

ma=T*cos-mg*sin-fk

Then,

6.12kg*0=25Ncos20-6.12kg*9.80m/s2*sin20-(uk*56.36N)

So,

that makes the entire force 0... is that correct?

2.98N-(uk*56.36N)=max=0?

But, I get:

uk= 0.05

But the problem says that uk= 0.161

:confused:

You have taken the angle of inclination as 20 degrees, whereas in the problem angle is given as 35 degrees. How is that?

And even when I insert uk= 0.161 in my probelm I still get:

ma=T*cos-mg*sin-fk
ma=-4.59

which seems very unlikely?

Maybe it has to do with either the order of my force components or the fact that I took the angle rope minus the angle of the hill 35*-15* since it said that the rope was 35* at the horizontal. Yet, I have no idea. Anything catching an err would be appreciated. :tongue:

gracedescent said:
So,

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=T*cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]-mg*sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]-fk=max=ma

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy=T*sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]+n-mg*cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]=may=0?

It's wrong. mg cos theta and mg sin theta is wrong. You must use mg sin 15 or mg cos 15 ( because theta is 20 ). Got it correct ?

So,

what your saying is that:

Fx=Tcos35-mgsin15-fk=max=ma=0

Fy=Tsin35+n-mgcos15=may=0

Well I think that the tension theta of 35 and the hill theta of 15 should be separated and not subtracted by themselves?

When I do how you said:

Fx=Tcos(20)-mgsin(15)-ukn

Fy=Tsin(20)+n-mgcos(15)

------------------------------

I obtain uk=0.141

Which is (0.020) off but something is still missing?

When,

Fx=Tcos(20)-mgsin(15)-ukn

Since the uk=0.161

If I insert this into the above I obtain Fx= -1.11

So there is still something wrong with the angles I belive...

I didn't think that this problem would pose such a problem. Is it hard or just boring?

All it is, is deriving the acceleration and the kinetic coefficient on an inclinded plane with tension and frictional force... then again, I can not do it so... Ah well.

gracedescent said:
I didn't think that this problem would pose such a problem. Is it hard or just boring?

It's neither hard nor boring (well, I guess that latter is a matter of opinion). The angle of the incline is 15 degress. let's call this [itex] \theta [/itex]. The angle of the rope is 35 degrees (relative to the horizontal for those people like rl.bhat who weren't paying attention). Let's call this [itex] \phi [/itex]. Then the angle of inclination of the rope relative to the incline is [itex] \phi - \theta [/itex] = 20 degrees. I want to emphasize that there are two angles we're working with in this problem. Let's set up our coordinate system so that the x direction is along the incline, and the y direction is perpendicular to the incline. Then, we have two force balance equations. In the y direction, the normal force balances the other vertical forces, which include a contribution in the positive y direction (from the rope) and in the negative y direction (from the weight of the sled):

[tex] \sum F_y = T_y - W_y + N = 0 = T\sin(\phi - \theta) - W\cos{\theta} + N [/tex]​

[tex] -N = (\textrm{25 N})\sin(20^{\circ}) -(\textrm{60 N})\cos(15^{\circ}) [/tex]​

[tex] = \textrm{-49.405046 N}[/tex]​

In the x direction, the net force is supposed to be zero and has a positive contribution from the rope and a negative contribution from the weight of the sled and from friction:

[tex] \sum F_x = T_x - W_x - f = 0 [/tex]​

[tex] f = T_x - W_x = T\cos(\phi - \theta) - W\sin{\theta} [/tex]​

[tex] f = (\textrm{25 N})\cos(20^{\circ}) - (\textrm{60 N})\sin({15^{\circ} ) [/tex]​

[tex] f = \textrm{7.96317281 N} [/tex]

The result is that:

[tex] \mu_k = \frac{f}{N} = 0.161181366 [/tex]​

I'm sorry, I've never taken a physics class before... I wish it were as easy for me, I suppose this is simply another step!

Thank you cepheid, I appreciate it. :redface:

1. What is the kinetic coefficient?

The kinetic coefficient, also known as the coefficient of kinetic friction, is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. It is used to calculate the force of friction and is affected by factors such as the nature of the surfaces and the amount of force applied.

2. How is the kinetic coefficient measured?

The kinetic coefficient is typically measured by conducting experiments in which an object is placed on a surface and a known force is applied to move the object. The resulting motion and force values are then used to calculate the coefficient using the formula μk = F/mg, where μk is the kinetic coefficient, F is the applied force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the relationship between the kinetic coefficient and acceleration?

The kinetic coefficient and acceleration are directly related, as the kinetic coefficient affects the amount of friction between two surfaces and therefore affects the acceleration of an object. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction will result in a lower acceleration, while a lower coefficient will result in a higher acceleration.

4. Can the kinetic coefficient change?

Yes, the kinetic coefficient can change depending on various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants. It is important to conduct experiments to determine the specific kinetic coefficient for a given situation.

5. How is the kinetic coefficient used in real-world applications?

The kinetic coefficient is used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering and transportation. It is used to design and improve the performance of machines and vehicles, as well as to ensure the safety of structures and equipment that involve the movement of objects. It is also used in sports equipment, such as the design of sports shoes to provide the right amount of traction for different surfaces.