1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the coefficient of kinetic friction of a sled with a mass added.

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sled is pulled with a horizontal force of 15 N along a level trail, and the acceleration is found to be 0.38 m/s2. An extra mass m = 4.2 kg is placed on the sled. If the same force is just barely able to keep the sled moving, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the trail?

2. Relevant equations

F(net) = ma
    F(friction) = μN

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the given information to get the mass of the sled, so that way I could later add 4.2 kg to it and get the total mass and calculate the coefficients from there.

Before we place the 4.2 kg mass on the object, F(net) = F(gravity)+N+F(friction)
    [itex]\Sigma[/itex]F = -mg + N + μN = ma (Fnet = ma)
    ma=-mg+N+μN
    m(a+g)=N(1+μ)

there is where i get lost, too many unknowns.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2012 #2
    You're right, except that all of these quantities are vectors. Draw a free body diagram with all the forces, and look at it component-wise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook