Finding the limit of a sequence.

In summary, The problem involves proving the convergence of a sequence defined by a recurrence relation, in which the relation involves two of the previous terms. The sequence is defined by s_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2}(s_n + s_{n-1}), with s_1 > s_2 > 0. The attempt at a solution involved trying to use the Cauchy convergence test, but the attempt was unsuccessful. The sequence is bounded between s_1 and s_2, but it is neither increasing nor decreasing. The distance between two consecutive terms is half the distance between the preceding terms, which may be useful in proving convergence.
ashwinnarayan

Homework Statement

A sequence [itex]\{s_n\}[/itex] is defined by [itex]s_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2} (s_n + s_{n-1}); s_1 > s_2 > 0[/itex] I have to prove that the sequence is convergent and I have to find the limit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried equating the limit of both sides to get s = (1/2)(s + s) but then I just get s = s. I managed to find that the sequence is bounded between [itex]s_1[/itex] and [itex]s_2[/itex] but the sequence is neither increasing nor decreasing.

For proving the convergence I tried used the Cauchy convergence test.
[itex] |\frac{1}{2}(s_n + s_{n-1}) - s_n| = |\frac{1}{2}(s_{n-1} - s_n)| < \in [/itex] is as far as I got. I can't assume that the s_n tends to a limit s because I haven't proved it does yet. So I'm stuck.

I'm also completely stuck on how to prove the convergence of a sequence defined by a recurrence relation in which the relation involves TWO of the previous terms.

where [itex]s_n = f(s_n, s_{n-1})[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex](s_n+ s_{n-1})/2[/itex] is exactly half way between [itex]s_n[/itex] and [itex]s_{n-1}[/itex] That means that the distance between two consecutive terms is half the distance between the preceding termS: [itex]|s_n- s_{n-1}|= (1/2)|s_{n-1}- s_{n-2}|[/itex]

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that are arranged in a specific order.

What is the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases.

How do you find the limit of a sequence?

To find the limit of a sequence, you can use various methods such as the squeeze theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, or the Cauchy criterion. These methods involve determining the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases.

What happens if a sequence does not have a limit?

If a sequence does not have a limit, it is said to diverge. This means that the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases.

Why is finding the limit of a sequence important in mathematics?

Finding the limit of a sequence is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of a sequence and make predictions about its future terms. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve various mathematical problems and equations.