Finding the limit of an indeterminate using series, not lhopitals

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of \frac{sin(x)}{\sqrt{x}} using L'Hopital's rule or by creating a series for it. The conversation also touches on using a different method that does not involve L'Hopital's rule or series. The person is unsure of how to proceed with the problem as their professor wants it to be solved "by series".
proace360

Homework Statement

My calc teacher says that we should do the problem "by series", even though it is in the section of the book where the teach L'Hopital's rule.

For example, one of the questions is:

[tex]

\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{sin(x)}{\sqrt{x}}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using L'Hopital's rule, you eventually get 0.

I managed to make a series for it...
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\frac{(-1)^n\*x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}}{x^\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

but after that, i don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
You can turn that into

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n+.5}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

by canceling the x in the denominator

yeah, i just simplified it on my homework, but after that, would you simply just plug 0 into x? it may give 0 for this problem, but for the other problems (after find the power series for them) it wouldn't give the right answer... so what would i do?

Another way to do this that does not use "L'Hopital" nor "series" is to write
[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{\sqrt{x}}= \sqrt{x}\frac{sin(x)}{x}[/tex]
and use the fact that
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/itex]

it would work that way too, but i just don't know what to do, as the professor specifically asked for it to be done "by series". and i am at a loss as to knowing how it can be done that way.

still need some help lol

What is an indeterminate?

An indeterminate refers to a mathematical expression that does not have a definite value when certain variables approach a specific limit. This can occur when there is a division by zero, or when the limit results in an infinite or undefined value.

Why use series to find the limit of an indeterminate?

Series are a mathematical tool that can be used to approximate the value of a limit when traditional methods, such as L'Hopital's rule, are not applicable. Series are particularly useful for finding the limit of indeterminate forms because they can provide a more accurate and efficient solution.

What are some common indeterminate forms?

Some common indeterminate forms include 0/0, ∞/∞, 0*∞, and ∞-∞. These forms can arise when evaluating limits of functions involving polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions.

How do you use series to find the limit of an indeterminate?

To use series to find the limit of an indeterminate, you can first rewrite the expression in terms of a known series, such as a Taylor series. Then, you can take the limit of the resulting series to determine the value of the indeterminate limit. This method is known as the series expansion method.

Can series always be used to find the limit of an indeterminate?

No, series cannot always be used to find the limit of an indeterminate. In some cases, the series may not converge, or the limit may not exist at all. It is important to carefully analyze the function and the specific indeterminate form to determine if series can be used to find the limit.