Finding the Limit of f(x) at 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Saitama
Messages
4,244
Reaction score
93

Homework Statement


Let [tex]f(x)=\frac{sin^{-1}(1-\{x\})\cdot cos^{-1}(1-\{x\})}{\sqrt{2\{x\}}\cdot (1-\{x\})}[/tex] then find [itex]\lim_{x→0^+}f(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{x→0^-}f(x)[/itex], where {x} denotes the fractional part function.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I have solved [itex]\lim_{x→0^-}f(x)[/itex], using [itex]\lim_{g(x)→0} \frac{sin^{-1}g(x)}{g(x)}=1[/itex]. If we approach a fractional part function at 0 from left, we get the value as 1. Therefore i get my answer to be [itex]\frac{\pi}{2\sqrt{2}}[/itex]/

I am stuck for the first part, [itex]\lim_{x→0^+}f(x)[/itex]. When we approach the fractional part function at 0 from right, its value becomes zero. Due to this i get a 0/0 form.
I am not allowed to use L'Hôpital's rule.

Any help is appreciated. :smile:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solving this without L'Hospital's is fun! Here's how I approached it,

Since [itex]x\to 0^+[/itex], the fractional part of x, i.e [itex]\left \{x \right \}[/itex] will behave as [itex]x[/itex].

This gives you the equation as,

[tex]\frac{sin^{-1}(1-x)\cdot cos^{-1}(1-x)}{\sqrt{2x}\cdot (1-x)}[/tex]

Separating,

[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^+}\frac{sin^{-1}(1-x)}{(1-x)} \cdot \lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{cos^{-1}(1-x)}{\sqrt{2x}}[/tex]

The limit of the first part is trival, and comes out to be [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. The second part is the one that is confusing(without L'Hospital's). Can you try it out?
 
Infinitum said:
Solving this without L'Hospital's is fun! Here's how I approached it,

Since [itex]x\to 0^+[/itex], the fractional part of x, i.e [itex]\left \{x \right \}[/itex] will behave as [itex]x[/itex].

This gives you the equation as,

[tex]\frac{sin^{-1}(1-x)\cdot cos^{-1}(1-x)}{\sqrt{2x}\cdot (1-x)}[/tex]

Separating,

[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^+}\frac{sin^{-1}(1-x)}{(1-x)} \cdot \lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{cos^{-1}(1-x)}{\sqrt{2x}}[/tex]

The limit of the first part is trival, and comes out to be [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. The second part is the one that is confusing(without L'Hospital's). Can you try it out?

Thanks Infinitum! I too was stuck at the same point. :smile:
I have figured it out, i solved the second part and it came out be one.
Here are the steps:
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{cos^{-1}(1-x)}{\sqrt{2x}}=\lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{sin^{-1}\sqrt{2x-x^2}}{\sqrt{2x}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{sin^{-1}(\sqrt{x}\cdot\sqrt{2-x})}{\sqrt{2x}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{sin^{-1}(\sqrt{x}\cdot\sqrt{2-x})\cdot\sqrt{2-x}}{\sqrt{2}\cdot\sqrt{x}\cdot\sqrt{2-x}}[/tex]

Using [itex]\lim_{g(x)→0} \frac{sin^{-1}g(x)}{g(x)}=1[/itex],
the solution of limit is 1 and hence the answer is [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

Thanks once again. :smile:
 
Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks Infinitum! I too was stuck at the same point. :smile:
I have figured it out, i solved the second part and it came out be one.
Here are the steps:
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{cos^{-1}(1-x)}{\sqrt{2x}}=\lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{sin^{-1}\sqrt{2x-x^2}}{\sqrt{2x}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{sin^{-1}(\sqrt{x}\cdot\sqrt{2-x})}{\sqrt{2x}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{sin^{-1}(\sqrt{x}\cdot\sqrt{2-x})\cdot\sqrt{2-x}}{\sqrt{2}\cdot\sqrt{x}\cdot\sqrt{2-x}}[/tex]

Using [itex]\lim_{g(x)→0} \frac{sin^{-1}g(x)}{g(x)}=1[/itex],
the solution of limit is 1 and hence the answer is [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

Thanks once again. :smile:

Yep! That's correct! :approve:

To me, that first step transformation was the most troublesome, glad you figured it out!