1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the magnetic field of a loop at far distances

1. Nov 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Loop of current ##I## sitting in the xy plane. Current goes in counter clockwise direction as seen from positive z axis. Find:

a) the magnetic dipole moment
    b) the approximate magnetic field at points far from the origin
    c) show that, for points on the z axis, your answer is consistent with the exact field (Ex. 5.6), when z R.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\vec{m} = I \int d\vec{A}##
    ##\vec{A}_{dip} (\vec{r}) = \frac{\mu_0 \vec{m} \times \hat r}{4 \pi r^2}##
    ##\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) I got that this is ##I\pi R^2 \hat z##
    b) I got ##\vec{A}_{dip} (\vec{r}) = \frac{\mu_0 I R^2}{4 r^2}(\hat z \times \hat r)##, but I don't know how to interpret ##(\hat z \times \hat r)##. I tried taking the vector product by treating them as cylindrical coordinates and using the conversion to cartesian, which resulted in ##\hat \phi##. So it says that the vector potential curls around the z axis, which doesn't make sense...

Then I know I have to do ##\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}##, but that's contingent on the previous part being correct.

c) ???

Any tips?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Hello again. Suggest you google "magnetic dipole". The Wikipedia has a good explanation. One item here that might create some confusion: In some SI units, I have seen the authors write ## B=\mu_o H +\mu_o M ## instead of ## B=\mu_o H +M ##. In any case, try reading Wikipedia. I think the answer is often computed in spherical coordinates rather than cylindrical, but it appears Wikipedia's answers are independent of coordinate system. ## \\ ## editing... Also, there is a formula for the curl of a cross-product of two vectors. It can often be found on the cover or appendix of an E&M textbook. ## \\ ## editing... additional item... A magnetic dipole can also be modeled as a "+" pole at one end and a "-" pole at the other and the inverse square law can be used for the ## H ## from each pole. The calculations using the pole model are a little simpler than Biot-Savart type integrals around the loop. I believe about a month or two ago, I verified the Wikipedia formulas using the pole method when someone else posted a question about the magnetic field of a magnetic dipole. ## \\ ## Here is a "link" to that discussion: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/equation-of-magnetic-field-produced-by-a-solenoid.888895/

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted