Finding the magnitude of the resultant vectors

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
fxsnowy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I need help on how to solve this

Homework Statement



Three vectors, expressed in Cartesian coordinates are :
S -> x( -3.5), y(+4.5)
T -> x(0), y(-6.5)
U -> x(+5.5), y(-2.5)

what is the magnitude of the resultant vector S + T + U?

The answer, according to my answer sheet is 4.9, but I don't know how to get that answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Solution.

There might be different ways to do it but here's how I did it.

First, add up all of the x values: (-3.5) + 0 + 5.5 = 2
then, add up all of the y values: 4.5 - 6.5 - 2.5 = -4.5

Then, use the pythagorean theorem on the absolute value of x and y (disregard the negative signs).

c^2 = a^2 + b^2
c = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
= sqrt(2^2 + 4.5^2)
= sqrt(4 + 20.25)
= sqrt(24.25)
= 4.9