1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the matrix A such that, exp(sA) is in SU(2)

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Finding the matrix A such that, exp(sA) is in SU(2)

2. Relevant equations

My attempt is in trying to solve

[tex]\left(e^{sA}\right)^{t} B \left(e^{sA}\right) = B [/tex]

for A, where A is some 2x2 (complex?) matrix.

and B is the matrix representing the group of SU(2) matrices. Trouble is I'm not sure what B is, but have been using the matrix of the general form of SU(2)

B = [ [tex]\alpha, -\beta*; \beta, \alpha*[/tex]], where * denotes the conjugate

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\left(e^{sA}\right)^{t} B \left(e^{sA}\right) = B [/tex]

simplifying to the solving of

[tex]A^{t}[/tex]B + B A = 0

which I'm not really having much success at doing. Anyone who knows more about this than me will see that I not really sure what I'm up to. Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks, in anticipation..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see what B has to do with anything. You just want S=exp(sA) to be is SU(2), right? That means S is orthogonal, i.e. S^+=S^(-1) (where ^+ is hermitian conjugate) and det(S)=1. For the first one, S^(-1)=exp(-sA) and S^+=exp(sA^+) and compare the expansions of the exponentials (I'm assuming you mean s to be real). For the second condition use det(exp(A))=exp(trace(A)).

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Thanks, Dick - much appreciated.

I got went down the track of using the approach with B as it was used on another example that I had available to me. Your approach seems like common sense ... now.

Am I right that det(exp(sA))=exp(trace(A)) so the s does not figure in that calc?

Therefore, I require, exp(trace(A)) = 1, hence A is traceless?

Also, as an aside, am I correct in thinking that if s was not real, say s=i, then I can show that exp(iA) is unitary if A is Hermitian, so any traceless Hermitian matrix would be in SU(2)?

Thanks again - I'll carry on working through what you've given me..

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no, det(exp(sA))=exp(trace(sA)), you can't just leave the s out on one part. But if A is traceless, then sA is traceless. You reach the same conclusion. And, yes, if s=i then A must be Hermitian. Can you use the essentially the same argument to show if s is real, then A must be antihermitian? I.e. A^(+)=(-A)?

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5
    Actually, I've just done the expansions of S^(-1)=exp(-sA) and S^+=exp(sA^+), and comparing these brings me to exactly that conclusion, that A^(+)=(-A), ie. A must be antihermitian.

Adding the requirement, det(exp(sA))=1, would leave me concluding that A must be any traceless, antihermitian matrix. Does that sound on track?

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe you.

8. Oct 21, 2009 #7
    Got it! Brilliant ... thanks again for your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook