Finding the maxima and minima of a function

In summary: One thing to note is that the coordinates of the minimum are $x=-1$ and the coordinates of the maximum are $x=1$.
brunette15
I have the following function:
f(x,y) = xye(-x2-y2)

I am trying to find all the maximum and minimum points.

I have started off by finding the partial derivatives of the function and equation them to zero.

df/dx = ye(-x2-y2)(1-2x2) = 0

df/dy = xe(-x2-y2)(1-2y2) = 0

However, i am stuck for actually how to solve the coordinates. Do i solve for the x values in df/dx and y values df/dy? And how do i find the corresponding coordinate after that?

If someone could work me through from here I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
I have the following function:
f(x,y) = xye(-x2-y2)

I am trying to find all the maximum and minimum points.

I have started off by finding the partial derivatives of the function and equation them to zero.

df/dx = ye(-x2-y2)(1-2x2) = 0

df/dy = xe(-x2-y2)(1-2y2) = 0

However, i am stuck for actually how to solve the coordinates. Do i solve for the x values in df/dx and y values df/dy? And how do i find the corresponding coordinate after that?

If someone could work me through from here I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Hey brunette15! (Smile)

Both equations should be true at the same time. Solving the set of equations will give you the coordinates.
Since $e^{-x^2-y^2}$ can never be equal to zero, we can divide it out, yielding:
$$\begin{cases}
y(1-2x^2) = 0 \\
x(1-2y^2) = 0
\end{cases} \Rightarrow \begin{cases}
y = 0 \vee 1-2x^2 = 0 \\
x = 0 \vee 1-2y^2 = 0
\end{cases}
$$
If $y = 0$ then the first equation is satisfied. From the second equation it then follows that $x=0$.
So $(0,0)$ is a solution.
Can you find the other 4 solutions? (Wondering)
Which of those solutions will be maximums or minimums?

I like Serena said:
Hey brunette15! (Smile)

Both equations should be true at the same time. Solving the set of equations will give you the coordinates.
Since $e^{-x^2=y^2}$ can never be equal to zero, we can divide it out, yielding:
$$\begin{cases}
y(1-2x^2) = 0 \\
x(1-2y^2) = 0
\end{cases} \Rightarrow \begin{cases}
y = 0 \vee 1-2x^2 = 0 \\
x = 0 \vee 1-2y^2 = 0
\end{cases}
$$
If $y = 0$ then the first equation is satisfied. From the second equation it then follows that $x=0$.
So $(0,0)$ is a solution.
Can you find the other 4 solutions? (Wondering)
Which of those solutions will be maximums or minimums?

I see! Thankyou!

1. What is the purpose of finding the maxima and minima of a function?

The purpose of finding the maxima and minima of a function is to determine the highest and lowest points on the graph of the function. These points are important in analyzing the behavior and characteristics of the function, and can provide valuable insights for solving real-world problems.

2. How do you find the maxima and minima of a function?

To find the maxima and minima of a function, you can use the derivative of the function. The maxima and minima occur when the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. By setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the input values, you can find the critical points, which are the x-values of the maxima and minima.

3. What is the difference between local and global maxima and minima?

A local maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest point in a specific region of the graph, while a global maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest point in the entire graph. It is possible for a function to have multiple local maxima and minima, but only one global maximum and minimum.

4. How do you determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum?

To determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive, then the critical point is a local minimum. If the second derivative is negative, then the critical point is a local maximum. If the second derivative is zero, then the test is inconclusive.

5. Can a function have a maximum or minimum at a point where the derivative is undefined?

No, a function cannot have a maximum or minimum at a point where the derivative is undefined. The derivative is undefined at points where the function has a sharp corner or a vertical tangent, and these points are not considered as maxima or minima.